Chapter 14 - Conspiracy

I was beginning to remember familiar words as I kept reading. We were more than halfway through the book and Springtrap was listening, but also keeping an ear out for trouble. Any sign of trouble and he'd place his wrist over the book with his ears forward, a silent command to tell me to hush. I'd do as he said, sometimes believing that he heard something, and other times just letting him get the paranoia out of his mind. Regardless, I let him do it just in case someone found us out.

I was about to start the next fable when he, once again, placed his wrist on the book and his ears perked up. I quickly shut my mouth and strained my own ears to hear what he was hearing, but I didn't hear anything besides the hum of the lights and our rotors grinding. He, however, seemed intent that he could hear some potential trouble.

"Put the book back." He whispered fiercely. I was skeptical, but I still listened. I slowly put the book back into my torso and looked at the doorway to the office. To my surprise, I began to hear footsteps.

We both let out a sigh of relief as it was Spring Bonnie rapidly approaching us.

"What are you guys...? Never mind. Shadow Freddy is coming tonight! Tonight!" He frantically exclaimed. Springtrap's eyes widened in horror and a pit of uneasiness began to settle in my stomach. I remembered the odd bear from the night I had first encountered him. Springtrap slowly looked at me.

"We need to hide. Come on, I'll need your help." He said. I nodded and quickly followed him as he jumped up. Spring Bonnie watched us go, appearing panicked as well.

We went to the back room and then to a door in it. I don't think I had ever been in there before...and I was bracing myself in case I saw anything. As we slipped into the new room, I heard the entrance door to the building opening up.

Now in full emergency mode, I shut the door gently behind us to buy us at least a little time and followed Springtrap. He hadn't gone far, however, and I bumped into his back, causing the both of us to stumble a bit.

"Watch it, dumbass! Now listen to me. I need you to get onto those rafters and when you're good, hoist me up." He quickly spat, pointing across the small platform we were on to the looming rafters above. I took a moment to gather my surroundings.

We were in a basement-like area, most likely extra storage space. Nothing was here except for cement walls and the metal staircase we were on. No lights shone except for in a small room below, barely illuminating my task. I also heard very, very soft weeping. Like a human.

"Springtrap, s-someone's down here..." I whispered.

"That would be the 'gift'. Now hurry! We don't have a lot of time!" He growled. The "gift"? I recalled a small child that Shadow Freddy had taken last time...there was a kid in here?!

I had no time to process this, however, as I clambered onto the thin railing on the staircase and looked at the closest rafter above me. The metal bar appeared dusty and untouched, but if I gripped tightly, I would be able to hoist myself up. With a small leap, I grabbed the edges of it and began to clamber up. My wound on my side started to ache suddenly, which made me slip a little, making Springtrap exclaim a little in worry.

"Be careful! If you don't make it, then I can't!" He hissed. I ignored his worried statement and swung my leg up and climbed up. Finally sitting up with my back facing Springtrap, I turned around and used my legs as anchors as I reached out. He let out a soft exhale and climbed onto the railing, wobbling a little as he did so but using his clawed toes as grips. He stretched out his arms and I grabbed them and began to pull.

The combined pain of my wound and Springtrap's torture scars made us both grunt and gasp with agony. He was a lot heavier than I imagined, the pounds of metal in his body nearly ripping me in half. I was able to hoist him up, however, and he scrambled to a crouch on top. Panting, we looked at each other, and then at the series of more rafters. He pointed to a further one.