Chapter 18 - Enemy

I was sitting on the sofa in the break room. Spring Bonnie and Springtrap weren't in there with me, but I could tell they were just outside. I could hear them, albeit muffled, discussing what had just happened. I was mostly lost, confused and scared. What had just happened? What was going on? Was something wrong with me?

I eagerly looked up as Nightmare entered. He stared at me with an unreadable, stoic expression. He then approached me slowly and looked down at me, making me feel small and weak compared to him. It was quiet between us before he spoke.

"You took Springtrap's place, am I correct?" He asked in a flat tone. I nodded slowly.

"Answer me directly." He added in a more snappy voice.

"Y-Yes, yes, Nightmare. He was suddenly in pain, and I didn't want to make our plan fail...I didn't want it to...mess up." I muttered. Nightmare looked straight in front of him, deep in thought, then blinked and looked back down at me.

"Explain the process to me in detail." He said. I fiddled with my thumbs as I recalled to before the...episode.

"I took the knife and began to go up to Golden Freddy. I wanted it to be as authentic as could be, as you wanted...so I did everything I could to be like Springtrap. I tried to get into his head, but...it was more like he got into mine. I even adopted his voice, his mannerisms...I didn't want to, but I felt like I...I had to." I explained. Nightmare continued to look at me, study me with an unchanged expression.

"I see. And what happened after we went out there? What was going through your mind?" He questioned. I shuffled uneasily.

"You...laughed at me." I replied.

"Laughed at you?"

"Yes, you laughed at me. Taunting, teasing laughs, like the Sister Location did when I came back...when I did something so very, very wrong. Your words didn't make any sense, and yet I could still tell they were vicious and mean. But I...something told me in my mind...to attack. To fight back. Which I never did before." I mumbled. Hearing myself aloud, I sounded insane. But it was the most logical way I could explain what I had experienced.

"Ennard, we did not laugh at you. You were silent as we asked you what was wrong. You didn't reply to us...but then you suddenly attacked us. Springtrap managed to restrain you while you had this odd episode." He said. I was shocked. It all sounded like I had just suddenly snapped and attacked them out of spite. I would never do such a thing! What caused me to do this?

"I believe I understand what had happened. You're being pursued by the Nightmarionne, correct?" He asked. I nodded slowly. Nightmare let out a low growl to my response.

"His persuading attempts to convert you are not going unnoticed. You and Springtrap are at the most risk." He stated. I didn't know if he was talking to me or himself.

"Wh-what are we gonna do?" I managed to chime in.

"I'm going to make a daily log for you and Springtrap. You will record anything that the Nightmarionne does, and if you're unsure of a feeling, a dream or a presence, write it down anyway. Studying this might help us find a way to increase resistance or even eradicate his presence in your minds at all." He replied. His plan sounded clear, but there was one problem.

"I can't write." I stated plainly. Nightmare stared at me for a moment before rubbing his chin with his forefinger and his thumb.

"Yes, that is indeed something we need to remedy...have you made any efforts on improving your literacy and writing?" He asked. I nodded.

"Ssss..." I stopped before I spoke Springtrap's name. He was so secretive of helping me, that maybe I should keep his name quiet as to who has been helping me. "Ssssomeone has been helping me, yes." I replied. To my relief, Nightmare didn't seem to notice or care about my slip-up.