Chapter 23 - Rescue

I followed Nightmare as he walked into the dark employee break room. I could see perfectly inside- the microwave, the couch, the table, even the grooves on it, the stains on the microwave, and the indentations on the couch. Nightmare sat down near the table, crossing his legs and setting his hands on his knees. 

"So...how does this work?" I asked. 

"I will call out to the Nightmarionne with my mind's echo. Since he created me, we should still have a neural link." He said. I was dumbfounded. What on earth did that all mean? 

"Wait...what?" I asked. Nightmare rolled his red eyes. 

"Just watch and go when I seem to be in a trance. It'll take all of my mental fortitude." He said. I frowned, but did as I was told. I sat down on the couch across from him, finding that it was too small for my new body. I was a lot taller than I used to be. 

Nightmare closed his eyes and muttered something. It was so quiet, I wasn't able to hear what he was saying. But I figured that he was petitioning the Nightmarionne and asking for his attention. I watched closely, studying the black bear's expression to see if he would change. 

All of a sudden, he opened his eyes, but they were rolled back into his head with the irises just barely visible. His mouth went slightly agape and his whirring slowed down. Was this the trance that I was looking for?

"Nightmare?" I asked. I got no answer in return. I decided that it was the sign to go, and stood up. I walked out the door, past Freddy and Foxy, the latter of which was cheering me on.

"Go get 'im, lad!" Foxy shouted. Spring Bonnie was with them, giving me a determined look.

"Bring back our friend." He said. I looked back at them, and smiled, nodding. I looked at Freddy.

"Nothing for me?" I asked in a joking tone. The brown bear just folded his arms.

"I don't like Springtrap and I probably never will, but...any blow dealt to the Nightmarionne is something I'll support." He replied. That was as good as it was gonna get. I chuckled and walked out the door, into the snow. Breathing carefully, I looked around and then started sprinting toward the Nightmarionne's home.

I knew that I was on a time limit. I felt my strides as they extended and retracted, and felt my feet slam against the snow and blow it out of my way. It was deep, but with my taller body, I was able to slip through it more easily. 

I ran toward the woods, now more determined than ever. I was going to get Springtrap. I promised him that I would get him out of there, and I wasn't about to break that promise. 

I dodged trees and wove my way through the forest. I could see the dark shape in the distance, showing that the Nightmarionne's home was close. Had he even noticed that Shadow Freddy was missing? Or did he just not care enough? 

Finally, I had arrived. Barely panting, I approached the front door, finding it slightly ajar. I peered inside, and felt my core jump into my throat when I saw the Nightmarionne standing with his back facing me in the living room. I quickly dodged to the side, out of sight. Did he see me?! He had to have heard me. Why wasn't he reacting, though? 

I slowly peeked back inside, and took a closer look. He was just...standing there, barely moving, as if he were a statue. His fingers twitched every so often, but other than that, there was no movement. Frowning, I stepped inside, and approached the Nightmarionne. I walked around him to the front of him, and stared at his scarred face.

His eyes were also rolled up into the back of his head, and his mouth was slightly agape as well. I remembered that Nightmare had entered the same trance, and I was wondering what was going on in their minds. I waved my hand in front of the puppet's face, but he didn't react at all.