Chapter 7- New Face, New Worry

I had a nightmare as I slept. I was out in the cold once more, the sky completely black, along with the streets. Snow was falling, and no light came from any buildings or street lights. I couldn't see any cars, and as I looked around, I noticed all of the snow was undisturbed even on the road. The buildings and road seemed to stretch on forever, repeating the same signs over and over and over. Even when I looked behind me, it was the same. No footprints followed me, which made me confused. How did I get here? 

I began to walk, unsure of where to go. My footsteps were louder than usual, almost deafening in the silence. I could barely see where I was going, using mostly feel as I did so. I couldn't help but feel that I was being followed...or at least, watched.

I couldn't look behind me. Something told me that I shouldn't look behind me no matter what. I needed to keep moving and walking. I stopped once to see if footsteps were following me. Nothing. I continued along, not wanting to take a glimpse. But it was so, so tempting...

The buildings were still the same every time I passed one. The streetlights didn't ever turn on, and I could feel the snow hitting my face. I needed to keep moving, but I didn't know what I was moving toward. Was it good? Bad? Was it someone who could help me? Hurt me? 

I walked to one of the building doors and tried to open it. When I reached for a door handle, I felt nothing but wood. I looked down, realizing that this door didn't even have a handle, a lock, anything. When I tried to shove the door open though, it was as if something heavy were blocking the way, too heavy for me to open. The windows to the buildings were covered in curtains, and I couldn't peer inside. I checked every single building after that, but none of them behind me. Despite all this, I never looked back.

Every single building was the same. No door handles, window curtains shut, and something heavy blocking the doorway. I tried knocking on some, no answer. I decided they were a lost cause. Abandoning that possible solution, I continued along. 

Something was still following me, I could feel it. I folded my arms, still continuing along. My toes and fingers began to feel frigid, and I could feel the snow that was landing on my shoulders begin to build. I brushed it off, feeling a little better but still frozen. 

I opened my mouth and began to call out.

"H-Hello?" I asked. 

Nothing.

"Hello?" I called again, a little louder.

Still nothing.

I felt like I had to turn around. I needed to. 

My breath quickened and I slowly turned my head and body. I anticipated a figure in the distance, or if they were close, or if they were running towards me. I gazed behind me, searching for anything of that sort.

Nothing. Nothing at all. I couldn't see anything in the distance. 

But then I felt hands grab my shoulders and squeeze. An evil, rotten voice whispered right in my ear. I could feel their breath.

"I will find you." It whispered. 

I suddenly awoke to pitch blackness in front of me. Panicking, I thrashed around wildly before I hit something pole-like and it landed on me. I felt around it and at the end, realizing it had bristles. It was just a broom. I felt around some more and realized I was in some kind of closet. I leaned back and felt relief, then confusion. Why was I in a closet?

I opened the door and saw that people, humans were walking out. I was about to go and greet them before the door suddenly shut on me. I frowned and tried to open it again, but something was blocking it.