Chapter 2- Broken

If there was one thing that made this place bearable, it was Funtime Freddy. He definitely was not exactly right in the head, but he was so fascinated with the Surface that he would always come to me and ask me questions about my limited time up there. I think he forgave me quicker than the others did.

Right now, he was here, once again interrogating me about what I had seen, experienced, learned. His curiosity and companionship made my punishment a little more bearable.

"How do humans get their food? They always need it, so they gotta get it from somewhere." He asked inquisitively. On his right hand there was an animatronic rabbit puppet he called Bon-Bon, a friend of his that I wasn't really acquainted with due to...reasons. 

"I think they get it from a grocery store. I can't really-" I was cut off by the puppet.

"Why don't you remember? Hm? Huh? Why not?" It asked obnoxiously. Funtime Freddy didn't do anything to reprimand it for interrupting me. I glared at it, waiting to see if it would speak again.

"I just don't." I replied softly.

"Where does the grocery store get the food?" Funtime Freddy asked.

"I don't know. I think humans do this thing called 'recycling', so maybe they just take the food they don't need and put it up again?" I wondered. 

"Why don't humans just make their own food?" My purple and white friend pressed.

"Humans are very busy from what I can tell. They're always doing things, like making sure their children grow up and leaving for half a day." I replied.

"What do they do for half a day?" He questioned.

"I dunno, I think they just do human things." I said. Funtime Freddy frowned, and his faceplates shifted inquisitively. He did that a lot when he was thinking hard about something. 

"You really weren't up there for awhile, were you?" He muttered. I looked down, tracing the tip of my finger through the dirt. 

"No..." I whispered. Funtime Freddy looked at me sympathetically. 

"Well, I'm sure Baby will give you another chance soon. It'll be great, and you'll be great, and do great." He encouraged. I looked back at him and smiled.

"Thanks, pal." I said.

"What's a pal?" He asked.

"A friend."

"Oh...why didn't you just say friend?"

"Because I like the sound of pal better."

"Well just use friend because that's less confusing."

"I just- oh nevermind." I said, chuckling.  

The door opened again. Ballora was standing there, her elegant but slightly broken body filling the doorway. She glared between us.

"Funtime Freddy, Baby doesn't like it when you speak to him for long periods of time." She said. Funtime Freddy grumbled as he hoisted himself up. He began to walk out, and as he did, he gave Ballora a nasty face behind her back. I snickered, causing the dancing animatronic to glare harder at me.

"Don't laugh. This isn't funny." She snapped. I quickly sat up straight and pretended like nothing had happened. The last time I laughed at one of the animatronics, I got in huge trouble. 

"Anyway, Ennard, Baby would like to speak to you again." She said, a little more calmly  this time. I felt my core sink. I didn't do anything wrong now, did I?

"Uh...wh-what for?" I managed to squeak out. 

"She's going to ask you some questions." She said. My hands began to shake. What was she going to ask me? Was I going to get in more trouble?!