Chapter 3 - Past Residency

I stepped out into the elevator building, shaking. It was cold, a lot colder than home below. And it was quiet. The concrete was frozen beneath my feet, and with careful steps, I approached the door.

I grabbed the handle and slowly opened it, a burst of cold air hitting me like a brick. I closed my eyes from the sudden chill, and then managed to carefully open them to look at the world in front of me.

It was white. Very white. White bits were coming down from the sky and adding to the white on the ground. I was unfamiliar with such a substance. Last time I had ventured to the Surface, it was green and warm. But now it was white and cold.

But I was here. Thanks to Funtime Freddy, I was back. I looked at my mask in my hands and placed it on my face. I allowed my coils to fuse with it, and I could open and close the faceplates on the mask. I felt a lot better in it now.

I knelt down and poked at the white, odd material. It was freezing to the touch, but it also felt soft and weird. I ran my finger through it, seeing that it made a trail. The white bits from the sky were quick to fill it in. I then scooped some up, trying to think of what this was.

Something came to mind. I remember Baby telling me about ice cream. She said it was soft and cold, like this stuff. She also said it tasted sweet and delicious, like sugar.

This was a lot like what she described. I scooped some up in my hand and brought it to my mouth. I took a little in my lips and allowed it to set on the metallic appendage in my mouth that was my tongue.

It definitely didn't taste sweet. It tasted like pavement and cold. I frowned and flicked the rest of it off. It was nasty ice cream, but ice cream nonetheless.

I stood back up and opened my palm out to the ice cream bits falling from the sky. The little bits landed on my fingers and palm, and stayed there. I brought it close to my face to examine them.

They had such...beautiful patterns. Some of them were in a closed shape, and some were beautifully spread outward. They were clear too, like glass.

I turned back up to the sky, seeing it was night and covered by...what was it...yes, clouds. Dark clouds that seemed to provide the ice cream. I gazed around and saw tall lights in the gloom, showing the particles falling in the light.

I took a step forward and immediately felt pain. I collapsed to my knees, staring at the ground. I turned to look at my wound.

It was like something had taken a nasty bite out of me. It showed more of my inner workings, along with animatronic fluid oozing out. I whimpered and looked for something to hide it.

I couldn't see anything that could help me right away. And I didn't even know the first thing about taking care of wounds, so this was going to prove difficult. I stared at the ice cream-like material in front of me.

I tried packing that in, and it seemed to help for a little bit, but the cold powder just melted away after it soaked in the fluid. I kept stuffing the powdery ice cream into the wound, letting it melt out, and finally it seemed like the pain had numbed a little and the oozing slowed.

Now that I could probably last a little longer, I needed to decide where I needed to go. I realized very quickly that I had been forced onto the Surface without so much as a thought as to where I was headed. No one had given me a goal like last time.

I made the decision of going to my old home, my old body's home. I could vaguely remember the directions, but they were still there. It would be a good idea to hide there while I gather my bearings. I set off in what I hoped was the correct direction.

The wind began to pick up a little, making the air harsh and colder. The little flecks of ice cream fell onto my body and didn't melt unless near my core, which was the warmest part of my body. My mind drew back on that rainy day, where I was in horrid pain and I had to make my way back...