Season 2, Epsidoe 4 ~ Me and Mr. Joad - Making The Cheer Squad

Cory is inspired by a book to fight for his rights as a student.

~~~~~~~

"Okay, we're talking about The Grapes Of Wrath," Mr. Turner said as we sat in our English. Over the week and weekend, our assignment was to read the book The Grapes Of Wrath and to my surprise, Cory had actually read it. "Who can give us on overview of what we've read so far?" Looking to Cory, I watched his hand shoot up in the air making me even more surprised.

"Muscle spasm, Cor?" I asked the boy making him shake his head.

"No. Sir, I'd like to take a shot," the boy said making Turner smile lightly.

"Okay, everybody, give him room," Turner said as Cory started talking.

"All right. I think the conclusion of the book shows the Joad family's been pretty much destroyed by the greedy farm bosses, but the authors telling us they still have their dignity, and they're gonna fight on," Cory said as Shawn watched him in astonishment. The class became silent once Cory stopped talking. Unable to fathom the fact that the Cory Matthews gave a correct and smart comment on the book.

"What just happened?" Turner questioned.

"You're a disgrace to the entire back row," Shawn said making me nod.

"You should be ashamed of yourself, nerd," I added on.

"Okay. This story about migrant farm workers in the 1930s shows us that powerful people will exploit the powerless until they organise and stand up for their rights," Turner said to the class as Cory put his hand up again. "Yes."

"Yeah, the thing about the 1930s, will we have to know dates for the test?" Cory asked making Shawn look to me and me look to Shawn.

"What's wrong with him?" Shawn whispered making me shrug.

"Maybe he's been taken over by aliens?" I questioned making us both look to Cory and then back at each other with worried looks.

"Well, the date is not as important as understanding the historical context of the whole struggle for workers' rights," Turner said making Shawn rise his hand this time.

"Excuse me. What page is the historical context on?" Shawn asked making me confused as he grabbed his book.

"Are you kidding me?" Turner asked making me chuckle.

"I need to know that for the test, right?" Shawn asked.

"Shawn, babe, there is no page of historical context because it's the whole thing. The book is historical context," I said making Shawn look even more confused than I was mere seconds ago.

"Oh, forget about the test. I want you to learn about this book to add to your personal knowledge, not to just pass a test. Now, I don't wanna here anymore about the test," Turner said making me raise my hand. "What?"

"When is the test?" I asked so I knew when I could start revising at the the last possible time.

"What did I just say?" Turner questioned making me smile.

"Okay, could I just asked one more question about the...y'know the written thing that you put a grade on that tells our parents we're idiots?" I said making Turner sigh. "There won't be any essays, will there?"

"Reid, as long as you read the book and open your yap during the class discussion, no test, okay? Now could we possible return to what is more important here?" Turner asked when the bell went making us all pack up our bags and get up.

"No test!" Everyone yelled with a smile while walking out of the room.

~~~~~~~

Before I knew it, it was lunch and Cory, Shawn and I along with two other friends were sitting at a canteen table.

" I can't believe we don't get to do a test," I said happily making Shawn nod.

"Same! It's a dream," Cory said making me chuckle.

"If we were still with Feeny, he would've given us two tests on the book," Shawn said making Cory nod.

"Yeah, and an essay on both," the curled headed boy added on for his friend.

"Hey, what are you guys doing after school?" Shawn asked making me shake my head.

"Nothing, why?" I asked the boy making him smile.

"Wanna go to Chubbies?" He asked me and everyone on our table.

"Sorry, man. I gotta finish reading The Grapes Of Wrath," Cory said making Shawn nod.

"Yeah, and we've got to finish our Science assignment on Animal and Plant cells," Ricky, one of the other boys said referring to him and his friend.

"That's cool," Shawn said before looking to me. "Guess it's just you and me," the boy added on. As he did, I looked behind him to see Cory winking at me making me try to contain the smile that wanted to be let out.

"Great, should be fun," I said with a nod while suddenly seeing the Cheer coach put up the list of names. "Oh my god, it's up!" I yelled excitedly as I got up from my chair. Before I could walk over, Shawn grabbed my hand stopping me in place.

"What's up? Where are you going?" He asked making me smile as he let go.

"I tried out for the Cheer team and Coach. Collins has finally put up the list," I said making Cory looked to me surprised.

"You didn't tell us you were trying out?" He asked making me nod.

"I didn't wanna tell you and then not get in but now you know and now I wanna find out," I said happily as I walked over to the list. Reading it, I looked for the my name.

*Side note - if you have gotten in to the teams, please come to my office after school to collect your uniform*

Emily Jones
Rebecca Wright
Brittney Lon
Sienna O'Sullivan
Adam Strong
Harry Savage
Millie Reid

Stopping at my name and not being bothered to look at the rest, a smile came to my face as I saw I had gotten into the Junior Varsity team. I didn't know much about Junior Varsity and Varsity but apparently Varsity teams are for the more experienced people so the fact that I'm a seventh-grader and got into Junior Varsity is very good to me.

Heading back over to the table with a smile, I took my seat.

"So? Did you get in? Are you a cheerleader? Please tell me you're a cheerleader!" Shawn said, practically on his hands and knees.

"Yes, I got in. I'm a cheerleader," I said happily making Shawn lunge for me and wrap me in a tight hug. "I've got to go to Coach. Collins's office after school to get my uniform so we'll have to go there before going to Chubbies," I said making Shawn let got of me and stare.

"So I get to see you in your uniform?" He asked making me chuckle and nod.

"It's like a dream, Cory," I heard him say to his friend while Cory just laughed and shook his head.

"Well done, Reid," Cory said making me smile.

"Thank you, Matthews."