Sixteen

[B]

"Hi Jay," I said softly.

"Bey, what are you- come inside. It's pouring." He said, opening the door wider. I wrapped my arms around myself, walking in. "You're soaked."

"It's fine." I mumbled.

"Nah, I can go get you some dry clothes." He said. I started to protest, but he left before I had the chance.

I looked around his home. It seemed the same as the last time I was here.

I wonder if another woman has been here? Has he slept with someone else? Does he miss me too?

"Here, some sweatpants and a tshirt." He said. He also handed me a towel. I thanked him, going into his bathroom to change. I know we've literally seen each other naked, but it felt too awkward to strip right now.

"Um, how have you been?" I asked him, walking into his living room. He shrugged.

"Same old. You?" He asked. I sighed, sitting down in the chair across from him.

"Not that great." I answered honestly. He frowned.

"I guess this is blunt, but, what are you doing here?" He asked. I swallowed.

"I don't..." I stopped myself from coming up with a lie or excuse. "I missed you." I answered honestly. He widened his eyes.

"Really? You seemed like you didn't want shit to do with me after you went off on me in my club?" He said. I hung my head.

"Like I told you, I had a really... really shitty day. I wanted to talk to you, and-" I started.

"You were the one who didn't want a relationship? Why did you want to talk to me?" He interrupted.

"Well, firstly... because even if we weren't in a relationship you were still one of my closest friends. Secondly, because I did want one, or at least, I wanted something with you and was too dumb to accept it." I answered.

"As I was saying. I had an awful day, and you were the only person I wanted to talk to. Then, you were a dick to me on the phone-"

"I wasn't that much of a dick." He defended. I rolled my eyes.

"Stop interrupting me." I snapped. "And, yes. You were. You told me that if I needed some dick I was gonna have to call someone else? Literally an asshole, Shawn." I said.

"The government?"

"Yes, because I'm trying to have a serious conversation with you for once. Now, please don't interrupt me anymore." I said. He put his hands up.

I cleared my throat, continuing. "You were an asshole to me. Then, Nicki finally convinced me to go out to the club - thinking it'll raise my spirits. Now, imagine how pissed I was to see you smiling in some bitch's face after you were mean as hell to me and told me you'd be busy? How does that look, Shawn?" I said. He sighed.

"We wasn't even together, ma. I get that it looked bad, but damn. What do you want from me? You was very clear that you didn't want a relationship. You can't get mad at me for that." He said. I flared my nostrils.

"You know what? This was a bad idea. I should've known, this shit always happens. I'm leaving." I said, getting up.

"Bey!" He called, standing up and following me. He grabbed my arm before I could reach the door. I turned to look at him, biting my lip to keep from crying.

"You hurt my feelings, Shawn." I said softly. "Even if we aren't together. I wanted my friend, I was going through shit and I wanted you. You were an asshole to me, completely brushing off my problems."