Twenty-Three

[B]

Jay rested comfortably on my chest as we laid up together in our bed. I ran my nails down his back, listening to the sounds of the night outside. The crickets, the cars driving by... it wasn't New York, but it was something.

"Babe," I said.

"Hm," he mumbled. I chuckled.

"You sleep?" I asked.

"Yes." He said. I laughed, laying back.

"Tonight was really nice. I enjoyed it. Thank you." I told him.

"'Course. You know I had to pull through for my baby." He said, kissing the top of my boob closest to him. I giggled, moving my hand to the back of his head.

"You miss the New York night life?" I asked. He chuckled.

"Ehhh... it's kinda nice not hearing gunshots and car horns all night." He said. I joined his laughter.

"Yeah, I could see myself settling down somewhere like this. Not Houston, but a more... suburban, quiet, area." I said. "Big yard for my kids to run in..."

"Our kids." Jay corrected. I giggled, intertwining one hand with his.

"Our kids. A pool, maybe a fire pit. A big house. Maybe a man-cave for you and a craft room for me,"

"You don't even craft." Jay interrupted. I laughed.

"I could start. That's what all the suburban moms do." I said.

"The suburban white moms. You gon' be in that man-cave with me; getting drunk, watching movies, and having sex." He said. I rolled my eyes.

"You act like that's all we do." I said. He shrugged.

"It would be fine by me if that's all we did, shit." He said. I grinned.

"You want a dog?" I asked.

"A cane corso." He said. I frowned.

"Uhn uhh... we not getting one of those. I want... a boxer." I said.

"Why?" He said, laughing a little.

"I think they're cute, and funny." I said.

"Maybe we won't get a dog," he mumbled. I laughed, wrapping my arms around him. We just held each other, enjoying the comfortable silence.

Unfortunately, it was broken by the ringing of my phone.

I looked and saw it was sitting closer to Jay. "Baby, can you pass my phone to me?"

"Bet... who callin' us this late anyway?" He said. I chuckled, waiting for him to pass it. "Yo..." he said. I frowned, looking at him.

"Who's Tyrese?"

Shit.

Tell me why I almost forgot about everything back home?

"Baby," I started. He kissed his teeth.

"Why is a nigga calling you at 2am bro?" He asked. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"You being serious?" I asked.

"Deadass. That shit is weird." He said.

"Baby, you're doing too much. It's not that deep." I said.

"Am I?" He said. I rolled my eyes.

"Shawn, you're jacking it right now. All this shit going on with me and you wanna do this? Chill," I said. "Please pass me my phone."