Nine

[B]

"Okay, don't look at where the directions take you. Just listen to them." Zae said. I was in the car on the phone with him.

I chuckled, pulling out of my apartment complex. "Zae, where the hell are you taking me?" I said.

"You trust me?" He said. I laughed.

"No." I said. He laughed.

"Just listen to me! It'll be fun!" He said. I sighed, making the left the directions told me to.

"I'll call you when I arrive." I said.

"Aye! I'll see you, sis."

——

"Zae, why am I at the mall?" I said, walking in. My heels seemed to echo off the mall walls - I wasn't thinking I'd be coming here.

"Go straight, make the left, and then stop by the water fountain." He said.

"Zae-" I started. I frowned, seeing he hung up. "This boy." I mumbled. I followed his directions, pausing by the water fountain. I looked around, trying to figure out what was going on.

"Boo!" I heard, feeling someone grab my shoulders. I screamed sharply, covering my mouth. Seeing it was Zae, I shoved him back.

"Do not do that, Isaiah, you little shit! I almost killed you!" I slightly yelled, but only loud enough for him to hear.

"You should've seen your face!" He said, laughing. I pursed my lips.

"What the fuck is funny?" I said. He wiped his eyes, trying you reign himself in.

"You." He answered. I rolled my eyes, bucking at him. I smirked when he flinched

"That's what I thought. Know your place." I said. I gave him a once over, smiling at his hair.

"You took your braids out? I love the curls." I told him. He smiled.

"Thank you. You notice anything else?" He said. I leaned back, crossing my arms and scanning him.

No tattoos, no piercings, no new shoes...

"Isaiah did you get a tattoo I can't see? Please don't give me a heart attack right now." I said. He laughed.

"No mom, I didn't." He said, stressing the word mom. I chuckled. "Look harder."

"Why you got a name tag?" I noticed, grabbing the lanyard dangling from his neck.

"C'mon Bey, you mad aggressive!" He said.

"Awe shit, you got a job?" I said excitedly as I read it. He grinned.

"I work at Champs!" He said. I laughed, hugging him.

He's been trying to find a job for a while now. I kept telling him that I'd always have him, but he's been trying to prove that he doesn't need my help.

It's more for himself, I think. He wants to prove to himself that he's enough to take care of his family.

"I'm very proud of you baby." I told him.

"I got hired about two weeks ago. And... come in! I got you something." He said. I smiled, touching my heart.

"You ain't gotta get me anything." I said.

"Well, I did. Come on." He said. I laughed.

"Zae, ion like going in this store. All of the employees are hood niggas. I think like three of my exes work here." I said.