Chapter 1: His Words

Past in italics~

"Aether!! Wait up!!" I yelled as I ran after my stupid twin brother and caught him by his braid. He yelped in pain and glared at me.

"Finally." I grinned and walked alongside him. He made a weird pouting face and walked beside me. My twin brother was the stupidest and I knew it. What I would do to exchange him for someone else.

And now. I cried, my tears muffled as I wept into my bedsheets. Aether. My stupid twin brother. Last year, we'd gone everyday to school together. But this year, we wouldn't. Nor next year. He wasn't going to come back from that stupid car accident. I was so foolish, wasn't I? I'd asked to God to get rid of my brother somehow, and he did. And now I wished I hadn't asked God for that. It was all my fault wasn't it? Aether was honestly the only family I'd had left. And I'd made him disappear. If he hadn't jumped in to save me, he'd still be alive. If I hadn't made that wish, he'd still be alive.

My alarm bell rung on me loudly, signaling that it was time. I got up, my eyes red and puffy, marks of tears on my cheeks and hair messy. Well, whatever. I put on a simple white shirt, black pants, sneakers, and then I was off. I didn't wanna make breakfast, nor did I want to eat, so I immediately started on the road to school.

I caught a glimpse of a figure walking ahead, short blue hair, blue shirt, and short white pants, and a black jacket. He looked at me as I walked past and eyed me with concern. My best friend Xingqiu. Or more correctly, past best friend Xingqiu. I'd broken contact with all my friends since the incident, and although I'd regretted it a point, it was all just something of the past now. Xingqiu wore glasses and had a book in his hand as always. Before he could speak to me, I sped up and walked past him, leaving him behind.

When I finally reached school, I was almost in tears. Old friends wherever I went. And most of them felt angry and betrayed. Some were pitiful. Some were just plain shocked. And then there was me, who cried as if they were the ruthless ones. Pathetic.

I walked into the school and headed towards my class.

"Aether!! Are you alright? Hang on, okay? I'm gonna get help." I said, frantically searching for my phone in my bag to dial the ambulance.

"Sorry, sis. Iー" Aether was cut off by me.

"Don't you dare say sorry!" I yelled as I dialed the ambulance. "Hello, yes, my brother has met with an accident, the address is..."

Everyone in the class looked at me with strange eyes as if I was some kind of exotic animal. Which I did feel I was. Lumine. Former popular socialite. Lumine. Every teacher's favourite. Lumine. The harem girl. Lumine. Now the depressed, friendless, utterly broken girl. I buried my head in my arms and avoided everyone's gazes. Silently, I sobbed. I could hear whispers, and I tried to shut my brain down.

"I know everyone here is already acquainted with one another. However we have a newcomer. Come inー"

"Aether! Hang on, alright!" I said, wiping the tears off my face. The raindrops fell harshly on us. The car driver had declared it was because of the rain that all this happened, that all this wasn't his fault. Of course it was his fault. He wouldn't get away with this.

"Lumine..." Aether spoke weakly. "I love you, sis." and just like that, my brother stopped breathing.

I felt the presence of someone beside me. New face. Must be the new student. He had ginger coloured hair, a red earring in one ear and beautiful, but hollow, blue eyes. A fake smile plastered on his face, he turned to me.

"How are ya doing, girlie?"