Chapter 5.

Without the nightmares or the hideous image of the Griever haunting my dreams, I would expect to have slept like a rock that night. But, of course, that wasn't the case. Something else kept me up. Noises. Wimpering. Coming from Newt.

I glanced over at the boy in the bed beside me. His face was only just visible from underneath the covers. His eyebrows ceased together. His twitched uncomfortably every once in a while, followed by a quiet wimper. I knew he was dreaming, and I had a silent debate with myself whether I should wake him up or not.

Finally, after giving up and growing a pair, I slid out of my bed and crossed the room to his. I stared down at him for a moment, having final thoughts as I stared down at the sleeping boy. Despite the way his eyebrows were furrowed together, he seemed peaceful when he slept. Younger, even. But then he twitched again. I reached down and poked his shoulder gently, and after getting no reaction out of it, I did the same on his face.

"Newt," I hissed quietly. Minho was across the room, his snores sounding like a freight train. I knew that if I woke him up, I would never hear the end of it.

"Newt." I bent down beside Newt and poked his cheek again, this time causing him to stir. His eyes fluttered open, sucking in a deep breath as he woke. He sat up quickly, staring at me with wide eyes.

"Bloody hell." He then seemed to relax as his gaze locked with mine. "Oh, it's just you," he let out a sigh before sinking back into the bed. "What's up?"

"You were twitching and wimpering in your sleep," I said. "Are you okay?"

Newt stayed silent for a moment, his eyes darting over my face before resting on his hands, "Bad dream, is all. Sorry if I was keepin' you up."

I stared at him for a moment. He seemed like a totally different person. His blonde hair was ruffled, sticking up in random directions. His brown eyes glazed over with sleep, yet they still had the same golden shine to them. Any sign of the authority he had earlier that day had disappeared, replaced with a boy. An innocent teenage boy. I then realized that, that was all these boys were. They were all taken away from their families and put here against their will. It was so unfair to them. To me, as well. None of them deserved it.

"It's rude to stare, ya know," his accented voice brought me out of my thoughts. I felt my cheeks heat up in a blush as I broke my gaze from his. It was so easy to get lost in his eyes, and I made myself seem like an idiot by doing so.

A cool breeze blew through the single, open window of the room, causing me to shiver. Newt must've noticed, because he glanced at me with concern in his eyes.

"Are you cold?"

I shrugged, "A little. I'm about to go back to bed, if you don't mind."

Newt smiled slightly, "Come on."

"What?"

He scooted over and threw the covers off of him, patting the empty space beside him. "You'll be warmer with me."

I felt heat rise to my cheeks at his words, though I didn't protest. Though rather hesitantly, I climbed into the bed beside him. He let out a sigh as he threw the blankets over us. I felt slightly awkward laying in bed with him, but at that moment, I didn't exactly care.

Newt's body heat immediately warmed me, and I began to forget all the awkwardness as I felt myself grow drowsy. Newt wrapped his arms around me, pulling me against his body. I tensed at the sudden contact, my eyes fluttered open.

"If this is too awkward for you, just tell me, alright?" Newt's voice sounded as if he were half-asleep. His breath hitting my neck every time he spoke. I relaxed into his arms, surprising myself by cuddling into his arms.