C5 - with sacred innocence

...with sacred innocence

when the two parted, there was nothing less than sincerity. it was like your bed in the morning, the grass in the spring. the cold air soon became an afterthought as ymir and historia talked about the meaningful meaningless, small talk that meant nothing upon first glance. but it felt productive, safe, and innocent. it felt natural, like they were supposed to be there. like they've known each other for years, like they had been there before.

as the sun began to set and the hanging tree warned the girls of nightfall, they said their goodbyes and started to head home.

friday's always felt restless, especially after school. historia felt her knees wobble as she walked, longing for sleep. she pushed the front door in with her knee and let the warm air of her house engulf her.

"welcome home, hisu!" her mother was one with the couch, her father's arm wrapped around Alma's neck. they were reading a book together, eye bags growing more and more deadly.

historia smiled, "hey, what are you guys up to?"

"about to get to bed," Rod felt a yawn escape his throat, "anything you wanna talk about before we retire?"

the girl's immediate reaction was no, that's what the answer usually was. but, she was excited about ymir. she wasn't sure how to refer to her. they weren't really friends at this point, but they weren't far from it, so why not?

but why talk about ymir when she wasn't sure if this was going to last? at the same time, why not trust and believe this connection? of course, there's no reason not to.

"i think i made a new friend," her response was laced with relief. like she had been waiting for this moment for centuries. "her name's ymir. she's really tall and watches a lot of the same things as me."

"aww," her parents said in unison.

"we're so happy for you, baby," Alma touched her chest lightly, she held this news dearly.

"proud of you, honey. we know it's not easy to make friends. you're just like us," Rod's teeth couldn't be hidden. the two were just as glad historia took this step. it almost made them nauseas.

"thank you, guys so much! she's really cool, too. i think you'd like her."

"a friend of your's is a friend of our's. we already love her," her parents gave hugs and said their good nights, their posture worn out from age and fatigue. "sleep well, darling."

"sweet dreams!" historia walked up the stairs in ecstasy. today was a really good day. it didn't feel repeated or numb, it was refreshing and lighthearted. she took off her shoes, changing into her pajamas. she collapsed onto her bed and looked up at her ceiling.

ymir really was pretty cool. she liked reading mangas and had tons of posters in her room. her favorite color was red, but in a range of different shades. she liked pancakes better than any other food and hated history.

but unwritten, unsaid, ymir always wore her blazer unbuttoned. she avoided eye contact and had a tendency to close her eyes in the middle of talking. she would put her hand on her neck and made it look like she was just scratching it, just to do something with her hands.

after all, what do you do with your hands?

she clearly hated fake people and could spot them from a mile away. why do people live for others? why do people accept other's expectations? and she also knew a lot more than she led on. she could read people like a book, like a psychic.

she was cool enough for historia to call her a friend.

**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚