C12 - the only one this century

...the only one this century

historia was left alone, sitting on her bedroom floor. her hand was reaching out for something that was no longer there. from downstairs, she heard the front door shut. a persistent beeping sound faintly slid under her door, the noise of the dryer reminded historia of ymir.

ymir was just at her house. she had drawn a picture and even borrowed her sister's clothes. she was supposed to stay for dinner, but now the girl was gone.

was this how ymir felt? before they became friends? it was a spiraling feeling, like she had lost control. historia was never one to act without thoroughly thinking beforehand. but today, she was too distracted. had she come off desperate? this was her first time hanging out with ymir since break ended...yet for some reason she thought it would be a good idea to kiss her only friend.

was it a bad idea from the start to befriend ymir? was everything just a joke? had she really misunderstood everything?

the door creaked open as alma slowly took a look at the scenery.

"hey, is everything okay?" the mother cautiously stood halfway through the door, a look of concern plastered on her face.

historia just looked dumbfounded, staring at the empty space ymir had fulfilled moments before.

"yeah, she's just unexpected in that way..."

the air shattered ymir's lungs. looking down, she saw a body that didn't match her own. the uniform once there an hour earlier was now gone. in fact, she wasn't even wearing shoes.

well fuck...

how was she supposed to go to school tomorrow without her entire uniform and no shoes?

now that she really payed attention to her surroundings, ymir also realized she forgot her backpack.

she stopped in her place and looked up at the sky, she was close to home and decided it would be best to hurry inside before freaking out.

she quietly let herself into the apartment, making her way to her room. she flopped on her bed before shamefully shoving her face into her pillows.

if she were to be honest, she had no idea why she ran. perhaps it was historia's mom walking in right after. she just wasn't expecting it. had she not seen the signs before? all the times she had written off historia's jokes, had she just been ignoring all of the cues?

and while ymir cowered in her room, historia hid under her blanket, absolutely crushed. alma left her alone to sulk.

she should've told ymir how she felt first to make it more expected.

how could she have let this happen? on a monday? she peeked out from the covers and mistakingly saw the cat ymir had drew, staring at her, taunting her. furrowing her brows, she went back inside her cave.

what are you to do in a situation like this? how was historia supposed to go back to school and face ymir after such a brutal rejection?

ymir thought their relationship was forever tangled. historia probably hated her now. how could she have left after she put herself out there like that?

if she liked her then, there was no way she still did.

or perhaps maybe the two needed an outside perspective. was it a horrible day back to school, the worst there's ever been? or was this just something that could all be resolved if they stopped worrying so much?

how could you possibly know what someone else wants if you're constantly analyzing what you think you're doing wrong?

with clouded judgement, the two fell asleep and found themselves waking to dreams they couldn't remember.

and eventually the school day had inched by and it was final period.  sasha peeked into the classroom and noticed ymir's absence. she assumed she had just been running late, but now that she thought about it, she didn't see her at lunch either.

"have you seen ymir?" historia flinched at the words as she jerked her head around.

but her actions didn't go unnoticed. sasha wondered if she flinched because she was too loud or if because...ymir wasn't here for a reason.

"well...to make a long story short, she left her uniform at my house."

sasha's eyes widened like they had a mind of their own. she spoke with a dry throat, "please elaborate..."

"and her backpack..."

historia looked hopeless. with the way she looked and avoided the other's name, sasha got the memo this wasn't something historia was going to speak so openly about.

so when class began, it was dreadfully quiet. everyone was tired and historia sat deep in thought. they weren't learning much in class yet since there were new students, so they were just going over the syllabus. what an uneventful day.

when the bell rang, sasha jumped up out of boredom, "you want company home?"

"no, it's okay. i'm really tired." historia stood up slowly and they headed towards the exit.

"hmm, i get it. want me to come by later and get ymir's stuff?"

historia perked at the words, as if she hadn't thought of that route, "well, i was going to use it as an excuse to talk to ymir, but i'm kind of dreading it and..."

"oh...why would you need an excuse?"

"because-" sasha interrupted with a scoff. in her mind, historia was speaking nonsense. in what world would she need a reason to go to ymir. even if something did happen, that wouldn't change.

"it doesn't matter, whatever you're worrying about. trust me, you never need an excuse. she would love to see you."

as if on cue, sasha left historia to give the stuff back on her own.

AN:// i'm so sorry i literally said i'd post two chapters then disappeared for months. but im back now and i'm rlly excited to finish this story:,,) i've been missing ymir and historia a little extra lately. pls remember to take care of yourselves <<3