Chapter Eleven

Rose's new year looked like it was bound to be a boring one. She went to work, trained, and sat through ability tests for the first seven months of the year, and it was beginning to drag on her. The only form of entertainment she had was when she and Sam would try and get Steve and Natasha to admit their feelings, but even that was beginning to get old. Luckily, her year was about to turn around.

For months, Rose had been helping Agent Coulson and his team track down the Obelisk, seemingly to no end. They determined the object was back in the hands of "The Doctor", who was a fan of Hydra's work during the world war. The team's new course of action was looking into Rose's deep dive on SSR files to figure out the plan this man had. Starting with the location of the device with herself, Rose was able to track the device throughout the time of the SSR, through the creation of SHIELD. But she also began to notice a trend of former Hydra scientists weaved in along the way.

"Good morning PC! I have some new stuff for you," says Rose over the phone to Coulson, covering as she walked into the Triskelion with Steve. She broke away from the captain and went to her office.

"Please, don't call me that again," laughs Coulson on the other end of the phone.

"Sorry, we were running late this morning, and you called when I was still with Steve."
"What's the update Agent Carter?" questioned Ward on the other end.

"Well Agent Wart, I was able to pick up on Reinhart's trail. He was housed in the Rat prison after being picked up in '45 with me, where he was left until his 90's. But here's the interesting thing, there's no death record in SHIELD or SSR files, and nothing on the web," states Rose while looking over her paper trail.

"So they didn't publish his death records, not an uncommon thing," responds Ward.

"Well, Wart, about six months after his release, a Daniel Whitehall came on the scene for Hydra," responds Rose, "and unless Reinhart had some interesting prison visits, I would say it was him."
"How did he live that long and who would release him?" questioned Coulson, finally getting off speakerphone.
"I mean, we have a pretty good track record of people surviving the forties, but I have no idea why they would let him out," says Rose, "And the photos of his release show him in a wheelchair."

"Ok, we'll do some digging here, you keep looking," says Coulson, "Talk soon."

With their conversation ended, Rose went to meet up with Bruce, who was working on the production of the chip in her head. Fitz-Simmons sent over the designs, with the hope that Rose and Banner would be able to make the chip again, and begin to use it for all agents going into the field. With the potential that Hydra was re-vamping under this Whitehall character, the concern that another soldier program would begin was high.
"How is my favorite doctor this morning?" calls Rose as she skips into the room, wrapping Bruce in a side hug.

"Hello Rosie, I'm surprised that you seem so cheery and awake this morning," laughs Bruce, watching the girl bounce around the lab.

"Steve let me stop at Starbucks this morning, so I'm in a great mood," responds Rose, "Any news on the chips?"
"Nothing new and exciting, but they should be ready to go by the end of the year," answers Bruce, pulling up the design, "I don't want to roll it out until we have a chance for Fitz-Simmons to look it over. Wouldn't want to mass produce something and then it goes wrong."
"Very understandable and smart of you Dr. Banner," says Rose, "I have to run to a meeting with Fury, but we should get lunch!"
Before he could respond, Rose was out the door and on the elevator. Rose's mood quickly turns when she sees Agent Rumlow and Alexander Pierce in the elevator, conversing about who knows what.

"Gentlemen," Rose nods, turning towards the door. She decided to try and get in their minds, curious as to why the conversation seems agitated and rushed. Listening to their recent thoughts, Rose was surprised to find nothing on both of them. While she wasn't surprised that Pierce was blocking her, Rumlow's mind was normally active and easy to listen to. The ding of the elevator broke her concentration, and the men got out, leaving Rose with her own thoughts.

In Fury's office, Rose nodded to Agent Hill, who was also in the briefing. Rose had her stack of papers that she was working on, seeing as Fury would be interested in her findings on Whitehall and the 0-8-4. But what she didn't realize was that Pierce would be joining the conversation.

"Agent Carter, you can begin," says Pierce, leaning against the beverage area in Fury's office.

Rose looked over to Fury, who nodded, and she began. She created a timeline on the holograms, which allowed her to place points in time along with it. While he tried to keep a straight face, Rose was able to notice that Pierce was surprised and almost concerned about the information she presented.

"So you believe what exactly? Hydra has been in SHIELD this whole time?" asked Pierce once she finished, "That would be a big accusation."
"No not at all," Rose covers, "I simply believe the program has been running in the dark since 1945 and is gearing up to go public with something over the next year or so. I think the best plan moving forward is to keep an eye on these developments, and hope to catch them before they do something terrible."
Pierce's eyes locked onto Rose's, daring her to make the jump to understand the information.

"Thank you for the information, Agent Carter," says Fury, standing up, "Alex, Agent Hill, if Rose and I could have the room."

Both agents nod, and Hill escorts Pierce back to his office, clearly hearing something in Fury's tone.

Do you think they're inside SHIELD Rose? Questions Fury, communicating through his mind to her to avoid any bugs in the room.

I think there's always the possibility for bad seeds to take root, responds Rose, confirming his suspicion. SHIELD may be compromised.

--------------------------

A/N: This is the last chapter for this part! Part 3 will include Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and parts of Agents of Shield!