Chapter Two

Rose shows up at the 24/7 gym Steve has practically lived at since coming out of the ice. She leans against the entryway, watching her friend effortlessly take down punching bag after punching bag despite it being almost four in the morning. She smiles, understanding the restlessness the captain was going through currently.

"Trouble sleeping Stevie?" calls Rose from her space. Steve stops, then smirks at the girl. She knew him too well and knew what he was going through even better.

"I slept for 70 years Rosie, I think I had my fill," chuckles Steve as he unwraps the bandages from his hands. Rose walks over and they sit on the bench by the bag he had just left.

"Trust me, I totally understand," Rose responds, placing a hand on his knee, "But locking yourself away like this isn't going to help you."
"And I'm assuming you've got something that will help," asks Steve, taking a pointed look at the file in Rose's hand, "I'm assuming Fury sent you with a mission?"

Rose nods, before opening the file and handing it to Steve. Inside contained all the information SHIELD had on the Tesseract. Well, almost all of it. While Rose's time being experimented on was included, Fury redacted a number of memories from the file.

"Hydra's secret weapon," mumbles Steve. He died 70 years ago to get rid of the cube, and yet it was coming back to haunt him.

"Sparky pulled it from the ocean when he went looking for you," answers Rose, "Had I been found by then, I would have told him to leave it. But he was under the same impression as Fury, that it can be used for good."

"So who took it?" questioned Steve, reading through Rose's memories.

"Told Fury his name was Loki, he's not from here. If you want all the dirty details though, you're gonna have to join me," Rose states, wiggling her eyebrows at Steve. He gives her one look before chuckling and nodding his head.

"Alright alright," Steve agrees, "Although at this point I don't think anything would surprise me."
"Ten bucks says you're wrong," Rose quips back, holding a hand out for Steve to shake, which he does. She knows he was never one to turn down a bet, no matter how patriotic he had to be.

"The debrief packet is at the apartment, you can read up on the way to HQ," says Rose, already walking out the door.

A few hours later, the pair are in the quinjet with Coulson as Steve continues to prep for the mission, scrolling through the information on the rest of the team.

"So this Dr. Banner was trying to replicate the serum used on me?" questions Steve when he stops on Banner's profile.

"A lot of people were," answers Coulson, "You were the world's first superhero."

"Yeah and I was just one of your measly sidekicks apparently," pokes Rose, earning a blush from Coulson. He had time to geek out over her arrival years back, but Steve was much more recent. She poked her tongue out at him as she let her eyes blaze blue. Since helping Tony two years prior, Rose's powers had grown tremendously and she was able to fully control them.

"Rosie play nice," smirks Steve, knowing she was being a menace, just like the old times. He looked up when he heard her pout, laughing as she stomped to her seat.

"I'm just messing with him!" Rose exclaims, "All my cool stuff came afterward, so I had to build the name, Stevie."

"So the trial didn't work for Banner?" asks Steve, ignoring Rose, receiving another exaggerated huff from the girl.

"No, he thought gamma radiation would work," replies Coulson, "We knew that rays were used on the two of you, but the gamma just made Banner a little..."