Chapter 43: First Visit

" What did one blueberry say to the other blueberry? If you weren't so sweet, we wouldn't be in this jam. "

   " Just let me get some blueberries. " You said rolling your eyes at Jin.

You filled a bag with blueberries and other fruits. You counted how many coins it would be and handed them to the merchant. The merchant took the coins and you walked away with Jin by your side. He held the basket while you held onto his arm. The crowd was busy and thick so you stuck next to Jin.

   " What's better than a good friend? "

   " What? "

   " A good friend with chocolate. "

   " That's not even a joke! " You said raising your voice with a  smile. 

   " It got you to smile so I think it counts! " 

   " It does not. "

   " It totally does! "

   " Well, Mr. Punster let's go home. I want to get home and get started on dinner early so it has time to cook. "

   " Fine, little missy. Let's go home. " Jin said grabbing your hand and dragging you through the city.

We made it to the edge of the city that we entered in, and now we exited. The trees consumed us as we walked on the path back through the forest. 

   " Do we have any neghibors? "

   " We might. I think they're a little far from our house though. We might see some going back to the house. "

   " I see. "

We continued walking until it came into our sights. I took notice that there was a carriage in front of the house and I stopped Jin. I looked up at Jin and he nodded down at me and we started stepping away. The trunk of the trees was thick so Jin got behind one of them with me behind him.

   " We're going to climb the tree, but do it as quietly as possible. " He whispered.

I  nodded and Jin put his hands together and put them down for me to step on. I held his shoulders and he pushed my foot upward. I grabbed the closest branch and pulled myself up and I climbed into the tree. I held my hand down and Jin grabbed it. We climbed up the tree and took a seat on one of the branches and watched the house. There were guards standing outside and I was willing to bet money that there were more. The door to the house opened and a man stepped out, but he stepped out wearing clothes of a royal.

   ' Quinn. '

He stepped out of the house with black trousers and a black shirt that was tucked into the slacks. A belt separated the pants and the shirt. His shoes were black and the sleeves of his shirt were pulled to his elbows. It was quiet so I could hear what he was saying.

   " You said that the city folk have seen no one live in this house for a year now since the death of Albert. Why is it so clean and taken care of? "

   " Someone could have come and clean the place up. It is a nice house and he might have had some family or friends that liked him. He was a very respectable person. "

   " Go to the city and ask around. Ask if they have seen a man with a woman named Y/n. "

   " Yes, your highness. "

The guard opened the carriage door and climbed inside with Quinn following behind. When he stepped inside another guard shut the door and climbed on the step. The man in the front lifted the whips and hit the horses and they took off into the city. As the carriage passed by I looked beneath me and into the window and saw Quinn's face. He didn't look up at me but he kept his face forward, with his arms crossed.

   ' We're going to have to move. '

   " There's defiantly more guards in the house. There's no way he only brought two guards and a coach. There must be more inside waiting for someone to come home. "

   " I guess this means we're leaving. "

   " I'm also guessing that it's a good thing I gave the people in town a different name than mine and made up a story. "

   " I feel like you were too prepared. "

   " Cause I am. "

Jin started climbing down the tree and I followed him. The basket we hid behind one of the thick tree trunks was still sitting where we left it. Jin ran to grab it and he came back to my side. 

   " I got a map while we were in the city. Let's get further away and look where we can go. "

   " Let's go. "

We started to slowly walk further into the forest in the opposite direction of the house and Madrathia. I held the basket as Jin held the map.

   " If we can travel this way we can make it to the Chevalier Empire. "

   " Isn't Lorraine Chevalier the princess of that empire? "

   " She is. Wasn't she one of the ladies at the castle when they were looking for a wife for Quinn? "

   " She was there. She had a lot of class and grace. "

   " Maybe she'll help us. "

  " She might. "

You two continued walking further away, and you made great progress. Back in the city, Quinn was sitting and waiting in the carriage for his guard to come back. He felt anxious and nervous.

   ' If not here, then where? If we can't find her here then I don't know where she could be. That assassin is smart but he has to have a plot hole somewhere in this wretched plan. I swear when I find them I am going to kill that man and then-'

   " Your highness. "

Quinn shook his head and left his thoughts. He looked to the door to see his guard stepping into the carriage. 

   " Anything? "

   " I asked if anyone had heard of the names Y/n and Jin Qiqiang and they all said no. "

   " What about the house? "

   " A woman at one of the stalls said a young man who is related to the last owner came into town to take care of it. Albert had a lot of adopted children and she said he had finally wanted to establish a family and he came to fix up his adopted father's house to live in it. "

   " What was his name? "

   " Kim David. "

   " Did he have a maiden with him? "

   " He told the lady at the stall that his wife was getting some fruits and he saw the jewelry she was selling and wanted to buy something nice for his wife. "

   " What is the wife's name? "

   " Patricia David. "

   " They are already married? "

   " Yes, he said they were. "

   " Let's get back to the house and take a closer look. "

   " Yes, your majesty. "