Meet the Mitchells (and L/n)

"We all wanna be the perfect family. But who's perfect, right? Every family has its challenges. From picture day to picky eater. For my family, our greatest challenge...probably the machine apocalypse."

The phone gets crushed and the scene moves to show robots looking for something. "The last humans must be here somewhere." One of them insists as he looks through a car. He snaps his head towards the tunnel behind him when he hears something. "Wait." He orders the others.

"They're coming." A car barrels through the tunnel, once the robots see the vehicle, one of them tilts his head. "Is that a burnt-orange 1993 station wagon? Or is it-" He gets interrupted as he gets knocked off with the others like bowling pins.

As one of the heads spins, he asks, "Who are these unstoppable warriors?"

Inside the car is complete chaos as the parents try to focus on everything, a young boy screaming his head off, and two young adult girls hugging each other in fear.

"There we are...warriors. Most action heroes have a lot of strength. My family only uses weaknesses."

After the girl in the red jacket hits herself with her shoe from trying to hit a robot, the girl with the f/c jacket rolls the window down and tosses an umbrella, knocking one who runs into three others. "Go Y/n!" The red jacket girl yells in excitement.

"Look out robots, because we are brave." The young boy anxiously bites his seatbelt.

"We are hungry for action." The mother is shown stress eating.

"And we are strapped in for success." The girl in red's face is mushed by her seatbelt.

"And we have no... idea what we're doing!"

A few days earlier, the same two girls are dancing in a bedroom. The screen freezes of the red jacket girl holding a puppet and a rainbow sprouting from behind her. "I've always felt different than everyone else. So I did what any outsider would do, made weird art."

A younger version of the girl stands in front of the class with a tv behind her. "Behold! Cinema." It goes to show a strange, yet hilarious film. Once it is over, she gives a hopeful look. The class is silent before a kid blows into his hands, making a fart sound, and the class erupts into laughter. A few kids mockingly pointed at her.

As the girl takes out her film and begins to walk away, a voice cuts in. "Hey!" Everyone turns to see A small girl with h/l h/c hair frowning. "She made this funny video, and you make fun of her? You guys are meanies!" The girl in front of the class stares at the other girl in bewilderment. The other kids look at the girl in front of the class and apologize to her.

"That weird Art was what caused me to meet with my first real friend, y/n. After a bit of hanging out, I asked her to be my girlfriend in junior high." The scene leads to an older Katie talking to a surprised, and older y/n. "And she said yes!" Y/n hugs Katie tightly, who smiles widely and doesn't respond. "I kinda passed out there." Y/n shakes a nonresponsive Katie.

"Movies and y/n were always there for me." The camera shifts and reveals a much older Katie giving her brother's instructions and y/n watching with a fond smile.

"My parents haven't figured me out yet. To be fair, it took me a while to figure myself out." Katie changes different outfits before she points at y/n who then tosses her a red jacket, ripped jeans, and a printed t-shirt. Katie tries it on and smiles at the great look. Y/n mock swoons and falls backward on the bed. Katie shyly smiles with a blush on her cheeks.

"My little brother Aaron get y/n and I" Katie and Aaron do weird karate moves and y/n comes into view flying in a kicking position. "Though he has his own weird thing" Aaron talks on the phone with a phone book on his lap. "Hi, would you like to talk about dinosaurs with me? No, okay. Thank you." Aaron hangs up the phone and crosses out the number from the list.

Aaron then picks up the phone to dial the next number and repeat the process.

"My mom says she believes in me." The mother is shown with a firm look on her face. "You can do this." She says. "But she says that to everyone."

It's then shown that she is talking to the family dog. "You can look straight." She then holds a pen in front of the dog's face. The dog tries hard to focus on it, but they go sideways again. "Follow this pen. Follow this pen." She says and tries to help by encouraging him. When it doesn't work, she sighs with a smile. "You get an A for effort, Buster Brown." She then places a sticker on the dog's nose, which he tries to look at it, but fails.

My dad is an unusual man. But he loves nature and can fix anything. The dad is then shown setting up a trap for the three kids. "To survive in the outdoors, you'll need to know about how to trap wild game." He explains to them. He then talks in a low voice. "Now, this is very sensitive-"

Suddenly, our neighbor approaches us, holding a plate of food. "Hey, Mitchells. Hailey cooked you up" The dad screams in fear and pushed the neighbor away from the trap, fearing for the neighbor's safety. The trap activates, and the dad is pulled up to the tree upside down. A possum pops out and crawls over to the dad. "Hey, who's this curious guy?" The dad asks with a smile until he's surrounded by more of the critters chewing and painfully scratching him. The dad screams as the kids and neighbor rush to help him down.

He never shared my interests. Katie and y/nwalk into the living room a laptop secured in one of their arms and a movie showing on the screen. Katie looks up to her dad with a hopeful smile. "Hey, you wanna see these special effects I made on Dog Cop 5? I think we did pretty good." She tells the man while nudging the other girl with a smile.

"Oh, sorry, Katie. I'm a little ocupado." Katie's expression falls and her shoulder slouches. Y/n looks over to her, raising a hand for comfort. "Wanna check out this mallard? It's dead." He continues, not noticing the expression on his daughter's face.

Katie sighs, close her laptop, and walks away. "It's okay." She mutters. Y/n looks back to her girlfriend and the dad, looking conflicted then follows after Katie. It didn't really bother me though.

Katie tacks up a poster that says: See yourself at California College of Film. Besides, Y/n and I have bigger plans. Katie and y/n look at the poster, a smile on their faces. The two fists bump and get to work. Katie begins filming her work and Y/n is busy writing in her notebook.

Y/n and I poured everything we had into getting into film school in LA. As the days go by, Katie moves all around the room, making progress on her movie, while y/n remains on top of the bunk bed, the only thing that changes is the number of crumpled paper surrounding her.

On-screen, Aaron is running from the dog, making it look like a cop chase. "So, after watching the epic Dog Cop saga and 84 of my finest short films, I'm sure the California College of Film would love to accept Katie Micthell to Film School!" Katie is then shown in the center while special effects go wild all around her.

Y/n and Katie laugh in amazement and look at each other. The two then look over to y/n's computer, which holds multiple scripts as an example of her work. The two then nod in affirmation and click submit at the same time.

 A little later, the two rush into their room, an application packet in their hands. Katie takes a deep breath, making a mental wish. She opens the packet and skims the paper. With a smile, she looks up to see her girlfriend reading the paper with a smile on her face too. The two rush out of the house and onto the street, whooping in excitement.

And the other accepted students totally get us. "You guys like Robo slayer four?" Y/n asks the fellow students who are all called at the computer.  "No one around here has even heard of that." Katie joins in. "Why not, it's amazing." A girl on the call tells us and lights up. "Oh, by the way, I saw some of your work online. Your videos are hilarious, and the work is so detailed."

"So good." Another girl agrees. "Mind-blowing, you two are like a powerful duo." A boy jumps in with an exciting look.

After all these years, we're finally gonna meet our people.