Drive off

As Dad tries his best to avoid the blast of the robots, he looks back to Katie. "This is still a perfect opportunity to learn stick!" He screams as the car jolts left and right, hitting other cars along the way.

Before any of us can say anything, Dad continues. "Keep it in fourth." Katie quickly interjects, "I could learn later." with me joining in, "This isn't a good time!" But Dad refuses. "Too late! You said you're interested!"

Suddenly, the car is lifted into the air by the robot's beam, but Dad keeps going. "Hit the clutch. Shift gears." He then turns to us, joking, "Which is so much smoother when you're in midair."

Mom speaks up, pointing outside. "Eric, Deborahbot, get those robots!" She orders with panic. The two sit up straight. "Okay."

Eric points To Deborahbot. "I found one!" He shouts and Deborahbot does the same. "Me too!" The two then hold hands, still having blasters aimed at each other faces. "Yay!" "We win!" They jump up and down in excitement.

"The other ones!" I shout in panic. "Oh, right, right," Eric mutters and leans out the backseat window. He quickly takes a letter out of the Waffle House sign and smashes a Pal bot to the ground. 

"If you want to go into fifth, move the coffee from the cupholder." Dad goes on as he drives into a tunnel. At the end of the tunnel, another pal notices their oncoming. "That a burnt-orange 1993 station wagon?" He asks before Dad drives through them, and all the robots go flying.

The crash causes Dad to spill onto his face and Mom quickly tries to wipe it up. "I told you to get a lid!" She scolds the man screaming in pain from the hot beverage.

Katie leans forward as she screams, "The dog is biting my hair!" Before Arron points ahead of us. "Look out!" We see that we're heading to the Play Palace. We all scream as we break into and out of the area, no harm to us.

Dad then continues. "This is the hardest thing to get. Downshift to third, put on the clutch-" Arron then interrupts, pressing his palms together. "Dad, if you see a place to stop, I do need to go to the bathroom. "Arron, here's an empty bottle," Dad says and tosses the young boy the object. "You know what to do, my man."

"Look out! The road's blocked!" Mom screams and Dad mutters, "Oh, no." 

As Dad is trying to avoid all the obstacles, Katie screams. "What are we gonna do?!" And an idea pops into my head. "Dad, you're gonna have to do the..." I take a deep breath and Katie shakes her head before I continue. "The Rick Mithell Special." 

Katie groans at this and Dad perks up at this. "Wait, what'd you say again?" He asks to which Katie, and I say simultaneously, "The Rick Mitchell Special!"

"I heard you the first!" Dad laughs happily. "I was just being a jerk!" The tires squeal and Dad looks us in the eye. "Now, Katie, y/n, repeat after me. You have to go up the mountain, across the stream, down the river!" He finishes and rides up the ramp. We all fly midair as we all scream in fear. 

We then fall onto the road, and we spin in between cars. We don't move the vehicle and watch as the robots ahead fly past us. We're tensed up and panting about what just happened. "And that's how you drive stick," Dad says and Katie speaks up. "What?!" She yells with a smile.

"That was amazing, Dad!" She says and I nod. "So cool! You're like a- like a" I try to come up with the words and Katie helps. "A top-heavy James Bond!"

Dad smirks and crosses his arms. "Ah, it's more like James Bond is a skinny version of me." We all laugh at that before silence fills the car so Arron can speak up. "Uh, Dad, how are we doing on finding that bathroom?" He meekly asks to which Dad twitches and screams.

We soon find a port-a-potty and guard it while Arron is using it. Dad knocks on the door. "Okay, come on. Hurry up in there, little buddy." He rushes.

"Every time you knock, it adds five minutes." Arron pipes up from the stall, making Dad cringe. "Come on. End of the world." He reminds the boy, and Arron leaves the stall.

"Sorry. False alarm. I was just in there reading." Dad sighs at the explanation and looks to the sky. "Okay, not excited to hear that."

 We all run back to the car and drive off, not realizing a pal bot is still working and is recording us.