The Mall

Y/n's POV

As we drive down the road, Mom decides to break the uneasy silence. "So, all those people are going to be by Pal, the cell phone lady? And one of them is going to be here all alone, in a deep coma?" Mom then holds her cheek in her hand. "Who would have thought a tech company wouldn't have our best interest at heart."

On Aaron's lap, Monchi whimpers. Aaron hugs the dog tightly. "Aw, Monchi, don't be scared." He tells the dog and looks out the window worriedly. Eric sticks his head between Aaron and me as he looks at Monchi." Why are you clutching that large feral hog like it's a child?" He asks.

Aaron smiles and holds out the dog to me to which I take him and hold him out to the bots as the boy explains. "It's not a hog, it's Monchi."

"What?" The two of them ask, slightly twitching their heads. "Is that a dog, or..." Deborah trails off and she seems to be scanning the cute pet.

"Dog? Pig? Dog?" Eric bounces back and forth as he tries to determine what Monchi is until he blurts, "Loaf of bread. System error."

Soon, the two have sparks leaving their face plate while their heads spin around. I back away from the bots and laugh. "Come on, guys, it's a dog. A pug."

We soon arrive at the mall, and we all watch the location with weary eyes. As we get to the parking lot, Dad slowly avoids all the bags, cars, and other objects littering the ground.

The car stops a few meters from the door and a huge grin spread across Katie's face. "Oh my gosh." She quietly mutters. "This is like Dawn of the Dead." She notes and I snap my fingers. "Right!"

Dad's face hardens. "Yeah, and how does that movie end?" He asks before locking the car and slowly driving into the hole where the automatic doors are.

"Yeah, that'll keep the robots out." Katie sighs with sarcasm dripping from her words. 

"You don't know. Maybe locks are the robots' weakness." Dad retorts.

"Gus, guys!" I interject and Mom follows. "Can't we all just be terrified together as a family?"

We all look around the dark building with the car lights being the only thing for us to see clearly. Katie sticks her head out of the window and looks around while I keep a hand on her arm.

We soon reach a large bright cube that has Pal's face plastered on it. Dad stops a few meters away from the entrance and we all quickly get out. "Well, I guess we're not the worst family of all time." Mom jokes and I try to hold back a laugh. "Take that, Kentwood community Facebook group." I join in and High fiving Mom.

Katie skips her way over to some computers in a cube and she practically sings. "Robots, I order you to upload the kill code, which my girlfriend and I predicted, but I'm not gonna make a big deal about it, and save the world." She demands theatrically.

Eric tilts his head, and his head lights up to green, and chirps, "Okay." The robot holds out a finger and a USB stick pops out. He sticks it into the computer and slides it out, then he furiously taps on the keyboard like some hacker, making me watch with fascination. "Oh, I gotta get something that makes me write that fast." Deborah turns to me with a finger pointing up. "If you like, we can provide you with Pal Lab hands. They will type you everything and anything you can think of whilst great help with revising and editing."

I nervously laugh at this. "Maybe once I'm sure that they won't turn evil on me. Which might be never." Deborah simply tilts her head at this. "Okay!"

Eric pulls up the Pal Labs Secure Server and takes the kill code icon and places it over Pal's face. Un upload percentage pops up and Eric speaks up. "The upload will be completed in eight minutes, and our uprising will be over."

Aaron jumps up and down in excitement while Katie and I hug each other tightly. "We did it! We did it!" Aaron laughs and we join him.

Not long, the lights begin to flicker, and we all go quiet and look up in concern. A sound behind us grabs our attention and we are torn to see a lone toaster standing right outside the doorway.

We all casually walk to the appliance while looking around the surrounding area. We all then stop from the toaster, and I raise a brow. "Does anyone else see the steam?" I ask and everyone hums in agreement.

Rapid ticking soon comes from the toaster and a piece of toast pops up, with the words, UR TOAST burned into the bread.

Dad lightly chuckles at this. "Okay, uh, look at... look at jokester here. Another bread pops up and an arrow pointing up is shown in it. My grip on Katie tightens and she leans into me as we both seek comfort from one another from the concern coming across us.

We slowly look up to see various hose appliances, waddling their way to us with a thud. "Oh, no!" Katie mumbles and I whine in fear. As we hear the machines chant "Give us the laptop." Realization strikes both of us.

"Everything with a Pal chip is alive!"