Chapter 15~Five Dead Sheep, Four People in Love and Two Old Friends

Eventually, we neared the bog and began to slow our pace, the others realizing their day of free range from Miss Peregrine's watchful eye was coming to an end and Jacob and I deciding to head back. We waved our goodbyes after I assured the others that we would be back for tomorrow. The perfect summer day (apart from the exploding bombs) made me drift toward it as if the loop were a magnet.

At the mention of a perfect day I suddenly realized I was returning to my dreadful, depressing memory filled world. As if I were momentarily captivated in a prison, wanting to disappear from every minute of it, until I stepped through the cairn the next day and suddenly enter Wonderland.

Something then occurred to me as my Converse slowly became engulfed in the surrounding bog. My rain boots were still at the house. No matter how old Kev was, he had the senses and vision of a hawk, instantly recognizing an unsubtle disturbance of my wardrobe and entitling me to a long and boring interrogation. If I were to leave with rain boots and come back wearing Converse I would undoubtably get caught.

"Oh shoot! I forgot my boots and jacket back at the house." Many of the others had already walked past Jacob, Emma and I who had stopped in front of the cairn.

"That's okay. We'll wait for you on the other side," said Jacob. Emma gave him a confused glanced when he said we'll.

"Thanks. I'll be right back!" I shouted, my voice fading as I chased after the others who had gone ahead.

Thankfully, I had managed to catch up with them. Hugh had started a conversation on what they may have for dinner that evening when I called after them to slow down. "Hey, I forgot my boots at the house and my uncle notices every little detail."

"Oh, I see. Is Emma still with Jacob?" asked Millard.

"Yeah. They said they'll wait for me on the other side," I blurt, out of breath.

Hugh, who had been standing in front of us with Fiona, looked over his shoulder. "What?"

"They'll wait for me on other side," I say, confused, "what's wrong?"

Hugh gave a worried glance to Fiona who returned the look. "The Bird don't allow us on the other side unless it were to reset the loop. Emma could get in a heap of trouble."

"Oh." I thought back to when Emma looked at Jacob confused. "Well I'm sure she'll tell him that."

By now the house was in view and we began climbing the stairs. "I think I just left them at the front." Sure enough the boots and jacket were there, waiting patiently for me to pick them up. "Well, I better get going. Thank you for the lunch and wonderful day!" I declare as I begin to step out the door.

"Oh, Amber, wait!" called Hugh. I stopped. "Do you know how to get back to the cairn?"

I thought about it. I had only been in the loop twice, and I had been escorted by one of the children during both. "Oh. No, I don't."

"Would you like me to show you to it?" he asked with genuine hospitality in his voice.

I smiled. "Sure, that would be really great."

Hugh grins and turns to Bronwyn. "Can you tell Headmistress Emma and I went to escort Jacob and Amber out the loop?"

"Alright, Hugh," Bronwyn says as she walks into the kitchen, most likely helping to cook dinner.

Hugh slipped on his goggles and closed the door behind him, while I stretched into my jacket. We stood side by side as we walk the last few steps into the trees. Once twisted branches and darkened leaves shadowed over us, blocking the sun, Hugh let out a puff of air as if he finally took a breath since leaving the house. "Thanks. Any time away from the Headmistress is time to be cherished."