Chapter 6~Wait, Did She Just Do That?

I blinked, adjusting my eyes to the sudden burst of light when I saw them. Nazi fighter planes soaring through the sky, all in perfect formation. It was just as the photo I had seen so many times at Martin's museum. But then it was black and white and hazy. Living in the moment of it made me feel, strangely enough, alive. As if by standing there everything around me stopped revolving and instead it was just me.

All these thoughts made me feel fuzzy and confused and yet I could still think straight and, for the matter, walk straight. Jacob and I were being kidnapped and for some reason Nazi fighter planes were flying overhead and my home was overrun with drunken men waiting to pummel me to bits. All of this was giving me a headache.

I turned to Jacob who had craned his neck up like so many others including the mob of men which gave me a small heart attack when I saw them. But they didn't see us.

Suddenly my hands were pulled forward and Jacob stumbled to get his footing, Emma was pulling his arm. I grumbled and wondered where Millard was and why on Earth he was invisible.

I set a grim and confused look onto my face as I stared down at the dirt ground and mumbling to myself, "what's going on?"

I heard a sudden shout and turned my head to see one of the men notice us as I realized just then that we had almost fully cross the street. The others turned to us and put on their war masks as they charged toward us.

We ran as fast as we could on a strange train consisting of Emma pulling Jacob yanking me and Millard, whom I realized was actually right next to me, trailing awkwardly behind it all. I tumbled and fell a few times pulling Jacob with me but we somehow kept running.

Together we squeezed through an alleyway lined with stables. Around halfway through I heard Millard yell, "I'll hang back and trip them up! Meet me at the bar in precisely five minutes!"

Millard's footsteps fell behind me as they made their way back. My face suddenly met Jacob's neck as he pulled to a stop. When I could breath again I looked ahead of him to see Emma, holding onto Jacob in a death grip, stopped and turned around to face whatever action was behind me.

As I turned around I just about saw a rope suddenly being pulled and all the men that had came racing toward us tripped, swore and tangled in the mud. Emma cheered and Millard's laugh floated through the alley, loud enough for us to hear. I smiled but fell short when my bindings suddenly retorted forwards.

When we finally reached the bright summer day through the alley again we swiftly turned toward a large building that Jacob and I had so narrowly escaped just an hour earlier. The Priest Hole. I half expected Emma to run around the back and meet up with Millard, laughing and shaking hands but instead she darted through the front door.

Aside from the bartender who had stopped me in my tracks no one else was there. I pulled back on saying "how's business going cause it looks breath taking" when his eyes fell on us and I hid behind Jacob who had turned so the man wouldn't see his face.

I flinched when Emma suddenly yelled, "Barman! When's the tap open around here? I'm as thirsty as a bloody mermaid!"

He followed through with a laugh. "I ain't in the custom of servin' little girls."

"Never mind that!" Emma cried as the sound of flesh meeting counter top echoed through the bar. "Pour me a quadruple dram of your finest cask-strength whiskey. And none of that frightful watered-down piss you generally serve!" Whoa.

There was a brief pause then, "So it's the hard stuff yer wantin', is it?" If my hands weren't tied together I would have face-palmed right there. "Just don't let your mum and dad hear, or I'll have the priest and constable after me both." He chuckled and I heard a faint scrape of a bottle against a wood shelf and said bottle being poured. "What about your friend, here? Drunk as a deacon I suppose?"