Chapter 28~Going Away for a While

Hi! I'm the writer of this story. If you didn't know, I often leave a little author's note at the end of each chapter, and if you don't read that, I completely understand. They can get boring and long. Despite this, I entice you to read this author's note at the end of this chapter which is the last for this book ;-;

Thank you all so much, and I sincerely hope you enjoy this chapter.

(Song: Wish You Were Here by Florence + The Machine. Featured in the movie. [I think it's lovely and feel free to listen as you read])

* * *

"So I hoped," I said, the words slipping off my tongue sweetly.

Millard continued to stare at me, completely in awe, before seemingly snapping out of it and gripping my shoulders to see me better. "That is absolutely fascinating," he uttered, mouth still agape.

"Nungh, Millard!" I struggled to wriggle out of his grasp until he finally let go, yet continued to stare at me.

"Sorry, sorry, it's just . . . " He suddenly lost his train of thought, sentence running off. "That is nothing I have ever seen before," he suddenly recaptured.

I smiled. "It's funny you say that, because," I curled a stray strand of hair behind my ear, eager to say what was on my mind, "I can see you."

There was a brief pause from him, as if he couldn't believe what I'd just said. "What?" muttered Millard.

"I can see you!" I cried excitedly, my smile growing as I continued to stare back. The blue glow defined his features, despite no colour. His face, hair, torso - everything. It was difficult to not reach out and touch him - to see, for the first time, who I loved. But for some reason, he didn't understand.

He shook his head. "Wait a minute, is that your peculiarity? To see me? That's it?"

I began to get frustrated at his lack of enthusiasm. "No, of course not! You have no idea what I'm looking at right now." Glancing around the yard, Jacob and Emma's blue figures were making their way through the house which showed dimension with every layer of white and black that defined the landscape. The people were blue, I concluded. Well lit areas were white, and dark areas were black, giving definition to tell what everything look like. It was as if the world switched to a glowing black and white backdrop, highlighting the people within it via blue. I felt like I was looking through an inverted lens. "I can see everything. It's all in black and white, but the people - they're, almost, blue."

Millard followed my lead, looking at the house with a distant look in his face. "Then what does that make your peculiarity?"

"Well," my mind travelled back to that moment on the sand dune, "when you were shot, something happened and I think I passed out or something," I was looking at the ground, trying to reconnect the dots, "but when I woke up, everything was blurry, and I think . . . I think I heard someone say souls."

"Souls," Millard repeated.

"Yeah," I turned back to look at him, still in mild awe - he was absolutely beautiful. "I don't think it was necessarily someone, but maybe an inside voice." He gave me a questionable look. "Ugh, I don't know."

"So, you're telling me you can see souls."

"Well, maybe just human souls - as in peculiar, common," I thought of Miss Peregrine, "maybe ymbryne, and . . . wight."