Chapter 22~Missing

For those of you who've read this chapter already, as I read back, I realized Amber and Jacob needed to be somewhere right after this chapter to learn something and I need to fix it. So, I'm gonna update this and the edit will only be at the end with the bog. So please, re-read the new chapter. Thanks! ;D

* * *

Wednesday morning. Occasionally peaceful and quiet, there, scattered around the pub, were breakfast comers eating strange greasy meats or stomach obstructing foods. Meanwhile, everything was ready for today's adventure, my bag, my clothes and my money - all I needed was Martin. Waiting by the front door, I drew in the gravel what I believed Millard would look like (which was not at all a very good drawing). Today, I was going to be a normal (ish) teenager - go out with my friend, do some shopping, and definitely not worry about nine peculiar children and their headmistress. Yup, today, I experience normal after a consistency of peculiar.

* * *

An hour later, I went back inside. He hadn't come - Martin hadn't come - the man who opened his museum at exactly 10:00am and closed at 8:00pm everyday. The only reason why I was excited to be going to in the first place. Okay, maybe I shouldn't overreact, I'm sure there's a perfectly obvious explanation to his lack of presence. Maybe he overslept (unlikely), or something had come up (he barely has a social life), or he forgot (he remembers the exact date and time I walked through the museum doors for the first time when I'd completely forgotten). No matter what I thought of, there was never a reason to back up the possibility.

As I entered the back room, Kev spotted my defeated posture. "What's up, Hun? Wasn't Martin suppose to take ya to the mainland?"

"Yeah, but he's not here yet."

"Strange, never took him as the late type."

"That's because he isn't, which is what makes this weird."

"It's alright," he patted my back, "I'm sure he's got a perfectly good explanation."

"That's what everyone says before something terrible happens."

He laughed. "Don't worry, nothing bad's happened." I looked back down to the ground and continued walking. "Hold on, Hun. Why don't you go check on 'im at his house? Make sure the lad's fine." He shrugged. "For all you know, he could be sick."

"Huh, I hadn't thought of that. Sure, I'll head on over right now. Bye, Kev." I readjusted my backpack and went back out the door to greet the summer sun which had been raining its beams all through the morning.

Walking past the docks, fishermen conversed among each other as sea creatures were whisked away between crates. The familiar salty ocean breeze hugged me tight between breaths and I closed my eyes for a brief moment to soak in the atmosphere. A chorus of seagulls flew overhead, screaming their songs like no tomorrow.

Strangely enough, my mind drifted back to the loop, to the children and to their abilities. What could I do? Can abilities be passed on like Jacob and his grandfather? Or can I do something different? Suddenly, it's like my life had started to fast forward and I'm losing the days before I could even start counting. One moment, I'm a boring girl on a small island with no social life. The next, I'm peculiar, have tons of friends I could really call friends and I can actually say I have something different to do the next day. I'm still not sure if this is even good or not.

The small home by the beach side slowly changed from a blurred speck to a building with features. But then those features started to change to a setting that I began to realize was not the same calming, serene place I recalled it to be the last time I was here. It was as if a new thick layer of emotion had formed and spread throughout the area, a layer of fear and anguish. My pace quickened.