Chapter 10~A Most Peculiar Dinner

Miss Peregrine had somehow convinced Emma to run Jacob and I a bath, so there I was sitting on the toilet seat cover and waiting for Emma to finish with Jacob's tub. The bathroom was small yet elegant with light lime green tiles on the walls matched with white tiles on the floor. There was a sink, a toilet and a tub, all gleaming white.

All of this was the polar opposite to the bathroom I had at the Priest Hole; The walls were yellowed and slowly peeling away from the ugly flower wallpaper; The sink, tub and toilet-oh god the toilet-were probably the unholy offsprings to the god of feces and vomit. I'm quite sure if a perfume expert were to stick their head in and out their nose would have shrivelled up and died within those three seconds. It was that bad.

I have always wondered why my nose hasn't fallen off yet but then I considered the fact that the very man that had created that evil masterpiece years ago resided in my very home. My nose had miraculously gotten used to the scent. If I had a superpower it would be precisely that.

My thoughts of deadly bathrooms and the most evil of scents came to a halt when a loud knock erupted through the small bathroom. Beckoning them in Emma came straight through holding a folded pink pastel towel. She handed them to me without a word and got to work filling the tub with water.

The material of the towels were soft and somewhat fragrant. I looked forward to rubbing this on my skin, that sounded weird. As the tub filled Emma stood above with her hands folded and foot tapping impatiently, eyes trained on the incoming cold water.

She seemed uncomfortable around me and Jacob, I couldn't understand why. What was wrong with us? I thought about it; I tried to hit her with a pan when we first met, Jacob and I were covered in mud and weeds, she thought we were wights-whatever that was-and she was, most likely, a naturally pissed off person. I would be uncomfortable too.

The tub had finished and now Emma's hands were deep in the water, swirling around. After a few minutes steam began to rise and she plucked her hands out, rubbing them on a nearby hand towel. "Thank you very much, I look forward to having dinner with you," I said once she had finished.

She stopped what she was doing and slowly began to turn to me. Her eyes fixated with mine and I could see all her emotions bundled up and swirling around. She seemed worried and confused, but most of all hurt. "Y'know, within those few hours I've known you I can tell something's been bothering you." Her eye brows turned to confusion but her eyes were still fixed with hurt. "I'm pretty sure it has something to do with Jacob and I, but I'd like for you to know I'm not trying to hurt you-well the pan incident was because I had no idea what was going on but all in all I'm not really trying anymore."

She blinked a few times, her expression not changing, then swiftly turned away. She walked to the door and took a step out before she turned her head a fraction. "It's not you," she whispered, then walked out and closed the door.

I stood for a few moments in the same spot, holding the towels and feeling the steam curl it's way around the room. When I jumped out of my haze I placed the towels on the small counter next to the tub and began stripping. Surprisingly all my underwear was completely dry and mud free so I kept those off to the side and threw the rest into the tub.

The mirror began to fog so I rubbed it away with my hand, revealing my mud stripped face. My hair wasn't muddy which surprised me, but eventually I shrugged it off and tied up my hair into a tight bun.

Now that I was completely naked (don't even think about it) I took a daring step into the scorching water and instantly regretted it. It was hot. Like, really, really hot! I jumped back and hopped around on my not on fire foot. Once I was convinced my skin wouldn't start melting off I bit my tongue-or rather my lip-and stuck two feet into the water. At first it felt like a liquid sun was prickling all over me but eventually I got used to it and placed my whole body in.