Chapter 16

Awe shit!! 20 years later I've updated..lol.

So sorry for the delay..with the holidays and working my ass off, I didn't have much time for anything.

Just to forewarn you..it's not edited.  I wanted to upload this weekend like I semipromised.  When I get it back from my editor, I'll make all the corrections.

Thanks for hanging in there.  You guys are the best!

Enjoy!

Don't forget to vote and comment!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I keep driving down the road, stopping at the corner.  I put my head down on the steering wheel. 

What have I done?

I feel the hot tears in my eyes, now running down my face.  I look at my reflection in the rear view mirror.  My usually bright green eyes are dull and full of remorse.  The bruise is forming under my left eye.  There’s dried blood on the corner of my lip.  I look horrible.  I can’t go to a hotel and ask to get a room for the night.  They’d probably call the cops on me. 

I should go back to her parents.  Make sure that she’s okay.  I’ve never seen her break down like that.  It was so sweet of her to defend me to her father when she found out that he had hit me.  I could tell that it pissed her mom off so much.  That woman has never liked me, but hasn’t given me a reason as to why not. 

I pull my phone out of my pocket to make a call.  It rings three times before she answers.

“Hello?”

“Hi, Sarah.  It’s Braxton.  I need you to change my flight from tomorrow night to now.”

“What’s going on, Mr. Cooper?”

“Please don’t ask questions.  Just do it.”

“I can look online and see if there’s anything.  Do you want to stay on the phone while I do it or do you want me to call you back?”

“You can call me back.”

“Okay.  Is everything all right?”

“I told you not to ask questions.”

“I’m sorry, Mr. Cooper.  I’ll look for a flight right away and call you back.”

“Thank you.”  I hang up the phone, tossing it onto the seat next to me.  I wish she wouldn’t be so God damned nosy sometimes.  She just needs to do what I ask of her and not question it.  I sit at the stop sign for another couple minutes before making a decision of what to do.

I make a U-turn, driving back to her parent’s house.  I’m sure this isn’t the smartest thing to do, but I need to make sure that she’s all right.  As I come up to their house, I slow down.  The lights are still on, meaning they are still up.  I park on the road across the street.  I hesitate before getting out of the car.  I slowly make my way up to the porch, taking a minute to breath before knocking.  Never have I been so scared of anything in my life.