Wall

Mia's Point of View

"Sarah, please... Just unlock the door," I pleaded, gently knocking.

"It hurts." I jumped at the voice that came from behind me. It was Calvin's.

He looked horrible. Tired, dark circles. His voice was raspy and barely working.

"It hurts so badly for me. I love her, and she's... gone too. I know it's bad, but- it's gotta be- Sarah, I can't... I'm so sorry." Calvin shook his head, his voice just audible enough to get through the wooden door.

All I heard on the other side of the door was a quiet shuffle. Maybe she was coming?

"I'm sorry too, Calvin," I told him, to which he attempted some kind of smile, although I couldn't see any actual warmth in it.

I hated that I couldn't relate as much as they could. I felt sad at the idea, but I hardly knew the girl.

And I felt bad. I encouraged her to spend a little more time away from her sister in that last year, but I thought I was helping her in the long run. If I knew Emily was going to die, I obviously wouldn't have told her that she was stunting her sister's social skills. I didn't know though.

Sarah was so dependent on her, and I thought it was unhealthy. Now she was literally ripped from her life like a bandage, and there was no going back. Her security blanket was gone forever.

How could I get her through this? She couldn't lay in bed forever. I had to bring her back.

She had to keep living.

"Let me get you some food or something, please?" I asked, gently jiggling the knob.

"Just leave me alone," I heard a broken voice beg from the other side of the door.

"Sarah, you need something. Let me get you a coffee then."

"NO!!" She yelled, before beginning to sob

I was slightly taken aback by the volume, but I knew she was hurting.

"Open up," Calvin demanded, knocking again.

"I'll pick up something from the dining hall for her," I told Calvin.

"I know you don't want to... but we have to talk about the legal stuff. Please..." he begged her.

I stopped walking when I heard the door unlock. I turned back to see my friend barely spare me a glance.

I knew she wasn't hungry, but she would die without food. I could at least bring her a burger and fries to see if she'd change her mind.