Valentine's Day

A/N: Hey guys,

This takes place two months after the funeral, so this is just about Emily's boyfriend, Calvin, and some of his own grief through his perspective.

Drawing this made me cry, but hopefully it doesn't do that to you lol! There's only two art pieces in here, but they basically say everything that needs to be said.

Love, Blue 💗

* * *

Calvin's Point of View

To go from hating a holiday, to looking forward to it, to hating it again in a span of nearly four years was jolting.

Prior to my second year of university, I'd never had anything close to a relationship. I had some crushes that resulted in disgusted glares or laughs, but I did not care for Valentine's Day.

It wasn't until I met Emily, who was infatuated with the holiday and planned exciting things with me every year we were together, that I learned to appreciate it.

Now that the love of my life had gotten killed thanks to my fantastic ability to not dodge drunk truck drivers, it was not something I cared to celebrate this year.

Looking at the date on my phone was a painful reminder of the emptiness around me. The cancelled plans Emily had to drive up to the mountains with me as it would just be us.

I didn't intend on celebrating the day in any aspect, but a part of me knew Emily would be irritated. If she was watching over me, she was absolutely rolling her eyes.

Even though she wasn't beside me, ignoring the thought of her and her plans altogether felt deeply wrong.

I made the decision to go see her after my classes.

Her heart-shaped gravestone stood in front of the setting sun

A vase of two roses had been already set on top of the marble surface. I was guessing that was Sarah's, seeing as there was a blue rose included.

Squeezing the pink rose I brought for her, I just started talking.

"Happy Valentine's Day, Sunshine

"Happy Valentine's Day, Sunshine..." I whispered, "I love you, we all miss you."

The sight was beautiful, yet heartbreaking. I should've been standing in front of Emily, not her gravestone.

It took everything in me not to break down in front of it and cry to the piece of rock.

I continued, hoping her spirit was around to hear.

"Please, if you're here, give me a sign. Anything... I just, I have to let you know-" I choked, the lump in my throat rising.

Tears fogged my vision of the gravestone, but I came up to it to put down her rose.

I couldn't look for signs with the tears, but the warmth of the sun was just enough. She was my sunshine amidst the cold air. Her middle name, my warmth and light.

She was here.

"Emily, I'm so sorry... It was my fault. Your sisters, they— I took you away from them because I couldn't dodge the car. Your baby sister thinks I'm a murderer, and I don't blame her. I was driving! Sarah, she just— I don't know how to help her. She needs you, and won't talk to anyone. She's just not doing well. I want to help her, but I don't know how. I promise I'll keep trying! I know— you can't do anything, so I'll try."

I made her the promise.

As the sun continued falling, I quickly continued, "Emily, I wish you were here. Please, just... don't leave us for good, okay?"

By this point, I wasn't sure if my words were comprehensible with all the cracks and sobs coming through.

"I love you," I said one last time as the sun completely disappeared behind the hill.

As the cold air was left with the night, I knew she was gone.