Family Campus Visit

Sarah's Point of View

"Well, Mom and Rosie are on their way up," Emily announced, jumping out of bed

Mom? Gosh, I was dreading whatever oncoming conversation we'd have following our last one. She did not take the news about my asexuality well, and banned me from coming home until I "picked a man." She'd probably ask about that.

"Already? Ugh, I think I'm going to leave to class early," I responded, slipping my sneakers on.

"Three whole hours early? Sure," Emily replied a bit sarcastically, to which I rolled my eyes.

"I know you're worried about seeing Mom again after that whole thing, but it'll be okay! I'm here this time. I won't let her talk to you that way," she did her best to reassure me.

I was glad for that. She was good at redirecting Mom's insults and defending me whether or not I chickened out.

I gave her some version of a smile in return, but continued getting ready to leave. Zipping my jacket up, I started making my way for the door.

A heavy thudding sounding from that direction startled the heck out of me, to which I jumped back like ten feet. Emily jumped as well, but to a lesser degree.

"You got this," she gave me a supportive thumbs-up, then opened the door.

"Your father and I are paying for this whole tuition and housing, yet the people working here still have the nerve to say that we haven't been approved as visitors yet? I straightened them out, Darlings," Mom immediately ranted, walking right on in.

"Oh, there's a process-"

She completely disregarded Emily's attempt at an explanation, and went straight to the insults.

"Now Sarah, is that what you're really wearing nowadays? Gosh, you dress like your Uncle Otis."

I dead-panned my twin, and she sighed.

"Uncle Otis has a great sense of style," Em shrugged, raising her voice.

Really? She's agreeing that I do dress like Uncle Otis?

Rosie trailed in with her luggage a few moments later. She dropped it at the door, and immediately ran to greet her favorite sister with a hug, "Emily!!"

"For a man. Sarah, you should be dressing like a refined young lady," Mom complained, placing her hand on her forehead, "Maybe you'd finally be able to get a boyfri-"

"Get in a boy band? Yeah, she'd have fun with that!" Emily changed the wording, to which Rosie snorted with amusement. I couldn't help but crack up a bit at that one.

"You still have your disrespectful attitude, I see," Mom sighed, "So ungrateful. Anyway, I better be on my way."

"Okay, bye Mom," she waved, snapping a photo of her up close.