Heart Song

Emily's Point of View

Our university was having a formal dance as some kind of ten year tradition thing, and even though I was absolutely not in the mood to do any kind of date-related activity without the love of my life, I'd seen and purchased the perfect dress. I mean, I wanted it to be my wedding dress one day, but... a formal event wasn't a bad place to wear it. It was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen, and I'd fallen so hard for it.

Basically not taking any opportunity to wear it was a crime in itself. I couldn't not attend this dance.

That did not mean I wanted to dance anyway. I was the only one without a date there.

"Em, you've never ditched me. Do you think I'll really do that to you??" Sarah asked, anxiously playing with her necklace charm.

Even she had a date!! Of course, it was just her friend, but I literally had no one.

My best friend, Quinn, decided she'd rather hang out with her own boyfriend somewhere else more romantic.

I didn't blame her, although if I was still with Calvin, I'd force him to come to this dance anyway so I'd be able to wear this dress.

"Come on, just dance with us! It'll be fun!" Mia stood up, motioning for me to join.

Okay, maybe I wasn't super excited with hanging out by myself like a loner, but my sister deserved to be her own person every once in a while

Right now, I felt like I needed Sarah more than she needed me. After the point Mia made about getting my sister to be more independent, I knew I couldn't cling to her every time I was lonely. She deserved to have her own separate social life.

On a separate note, I saw how our dorm neighbor and Sarah's old bully, Shelby got a new boyfriend. She wouldn't even look at me anymore after she heard what happened with Brandon and I sharing a kiss.

Sitting here by myself was just part of the karma that came with hurting people, I guess.

"No, it's okay! I wanna finish my cookie in peace," I joked, pushing a smile as I told them, "You guys go dance! I might join you later."