Peanut Butter and Jealous

Sarah's Point of View

While Mia and I were hanging out at the mall and exploring the new shops, we'd come across a Halloween store we obviously couldn't leave without checking it out first.

Well one aisle led to another, and before we knew it, we were trying on best friend costumes.

"Hey, what if we did a joint costume this year?" Mia questioned, sorting through the packaged costumes

Obsessed with the idea, I agreed, "That would be so much fun!! Hey, you love Barbie movies too! Want to be the iconic best friends Liana and Alexa?"

At least if I picked the blonde one, I wouldn't have to do anything to my hair.

"Hmm, what if we did foods?" Mia suggested, "Peanut butter and jelly!! Our hair totally goes with it!! Or maybe instead of monochrome, we could just coordinate opposite!"

"I love that!! Monochrome seems more fitting though! Your purple hair would definitely indicate that you're jelly," I reminded her, to which she jokingly rolled her eyes with a laugh.

"I'm down for that. Peanut butter and jelly it is," Mia decided, grabbing my arm to lead me back to the food costume section.

We both searched through the variations of food combination joint costumes, and my eyes finally landed on the right one. The only problem was with how dorky it was.

"Oh..." I sighed disappointedly.

Maybe wearing character costumes were a better idea?

"Oh ew, we're not wearing big styrofoam jars," Mia frowned, crossing her arms.

The costumes I usually did with Emily were either extremely accurate or just crafted to accuracy with the materials we had.

Oh shoot, Emily!! I'd practically forgotten- shoot. I would be ditching my sister for the costume. It was tradition, and usually our favorite part of the year.

I remembered last year, she brought up the possibility that since I had a friend of my own, we might not do a sister costume, but at the time, I reassured her that I wanted to work with her idea. It felt terrible to be the one to break tradition.

Mia lit up as she turned to tell me her idea: "Instead, let's improvise! We can literally print the words on crop tops of the color and wear comfortable leggings with converse shoes to match the tops."

A comfortable costume? That was definitely out of the norm, but so was not teaming with my sister.

Mia was my best friend, and it felt so exciting to be able to plan things together! I knew it would make my sister mad, or hurt though.

I knew I could make it up to Emily somehow. Our fights never lasted long. I didn't to want to miss out on a friendship bonding moment though. Plus, Mia would probably think I was being too dependent on Emily again.