13. damp wash cloths

Mandy's POV:

I roll up in front of the Alpha Kappa Phi house and press my feet into the gravel below, stopping my bike from going any faster. Slowly, careful not to allow the bag in my hand to slap against the handrails of my bike, I begin to roll my bike up the driveway. Cars are already parked in the lot. The girls must be close to finishing their last-minute preparations before we start the walk to frat house. The Theta Chi house is closer than Harry's frat, only a few blocks down from here. I saw the guys outside preparing for the night with streamers and decorations while riding here. I am thankful the journey won't be that treacherous. Walking in a long lab coat, short skirt, and 5-inch stilettos any further would be the death of me. Why did Harry have to pick out such a provocative outfit? I told him sexy; this is borderline hooker status...

Not wanting to stress myself and end up chickening out of tonight all together, I push the negative thoughts away and turn back to the house. Gently, I set my bike up against the side of the house, and then walk to the front. Before I can even knock, Jamie is at the door. She doesn't even bother greeting me, already caught in conversation in someone behind her, and waves me inside. I scoot past her, heading directly to the bathroom to change into my costume.

I check myself in the mirror before heading out; can I really do this tonight? Shaking my head, I leave the bathroom, bag in small hand. I adjust the short skirt so it's halfway down my thighs, and shuffle over to the group of pledges near the door. Jamie and Crissy are talking softly in the corner, and I inch towards them. Everyone else looks like they really put effort into their outfits. I push the fake glasses up the crown of my nose as I sigh. I look like trash beside these girls.

Crissy notices me sulking, and she joins me, pulling Jamie along with her. I stand up a little straighter. I instinctively cross my arms over my chest, a desperate attempt at hiding my cleavage. What the hell was Harry thinking?! I look horrifying, and not in the halloween sense, either!

"Well, well, well. Little Ms. Sunshine really does clean up nicely." Jamie comments, eyeing me with a quire gaze.

"I know... I thought the other girls were bringing some fierce competition. But you? Mandy, you look hot." Crissy wraps a toned arm around my shoulder, and I let out a nervous chuckle.

"Really?" I glance up at her. She nods slowly, and I think I see her lick her lips teasingly. What was that?

"Alright, let's get you over with the other pledges so we can take a group picture- Wait, do you want me to put that in my room so you don't have to carry it around?" I blink up at Crissy. She's eyeing my bag. I nervously shuffle in my spot.

"I mean, I really don't mind, but-"

"Here," Crissy grabs it from my arm, and I almost stumble back from the violent action. Luckily, her tight hold on me keeps me grounded. She throws the white plastic bag to Jamie, and Jamie jogs off.

"She'll handle that. Now, you come over here with me, and we'll get everyone assembled. Pledges!" Crissy raises her voice, breaking through the soft chatter. Immediately, the room is silent. Grinning proudly, Crissy pulls me behind her and starts to order everyone.

"Alright! It's picture time! Everyone line up, height order! Tallest in the back, shortest in the front! Chop, chop! The boys are expecting us!"

Everyone begins to shuffle around, following Crissy's instructions. Someone pulls me forward, and I stumble to the front of the group. I realize as Crissy is making final adjustments. Now, I am front and center for this picture. The thought makes my skin tingle. I try to move back, but Crissy quickly orders me against it.

"No! Mandy, don't move! You're good right where you are! Now, everyone smile!"

Crissy tilts her phone to the side and takes a few steps back. After pressing a few buttons, she excuses everyone, and then Lucy joins me.