The Goodbye

You sat in the waiting room with Totoro in your lap as he continued to struggle to breath. He was just making this....horrible noise.

Seraphine sat next to you as you tapped your foot. You had only been here for three minutes, but it felt like it had been hours.

Finally, a vet walked out and told you that he would take you now. You quickly got up and followed him to the back as Seraphine watched.

Vet: Set him down here.

You nodded and set Totoro down on the table as the vet pulled his gloves on. He walked back to the table and began to examine Totoro.

Vet: How long as he been doing this?

Y/N: I-I woke up and he was just...like this. He had been coughing but he stopped the day after.

The vet nodded as he checked Totoro's heartbeat.

Y/N: Will he be okay?

The vet looked at you and saw how badly you were panicking.

Vet: I'm going to do everything I can.

Y/N: Will he be okay?

You looked up and locked eyes with him.

Vet: I'm going to do everything I can. You need to let me work. He's in bad condition.

You sighed as you looked down at the cat. He really was.

Totoro: <Meow>

You gently petted him.

Y/N: I'm right here, bud.

Totoro: <Meow>

You let out a shaky breath as the vet got what he needed ready to work.

Vet: I'm going to need you to wait outside.

Y/N: I can't leave him...

Vet: I know that this is scary, but I have to work. I will get you when I'm done.

You looked at Totoro for a moment before you nodded.

Y/N: I'll be back.

Totoro: <Meow>

Y/N: I know. I-I promise.

You took a step back as you looked at the table. You hesitated for a moment before you walked backwards out of the room. You walked down the hall while you shook your head head.

You made it back to the waiting room and found Ahri already there. You had sent her a text on your way here to tell her what was happening.

Ahri looked up when she heard you enter the room. You stopped and looked at her before she rushed over and hugged you.
-------------
You were sitting on the chair with Ahri next to you, her head on your shoulder, while Seraphine patiently waited. She didn't have to be here, but she felt like she needed to.

She was just as worried for Totoro as you were.

The door opened and you all looked up as the vet walked out. He looked right at you as you started to stand up.

He shook his head which made your stomach drop.

You and Ahri followed him to the back where you found Totoro laying on the table. He was still alive, but he only looked worse than before.

Vet: He's sick. And he won't be getting better.

Ahri walked over to the table and kneeled down so that she was at eye level with Totoro. She gently petted him as she spoke to him in Korean.