Chapter 22 - Invisible Line

《Scaramouche's POV》

Scaramouche sat at the wooden table, deep in thought whilst also trying not to fall asleep. He was out in the main room while Y/N finished up some important paperwork in their bedroom. He remembered them snapping at him about how he would distract them from doing their work. Well, they weren't wrong.

Why was he doing this? He started to question even himself. Scaramouche began to think about it logically, he'd never imagined he would be sitting in someone else's house while waiting for them so they could sleep.

To past Scaramouche, the mere thought was absurd. But now, he was changed somehow. Though he was the same person, it's almost as if his ice cold heart was beginning to thaw. He had to admit, he didn't like how it felt. So why was he still sticking around?

One reason could be that Y/N was some kind of witch that cast a spell on him. As he continued to think of reasons why he was sticking around, he realized that he knew exactly why he was there. He just didn't want to admit it.

He was starting to care about someone other than himself, and it felt weird. Weird because he'd never cared about anyone other than himself before. To him, it was foreign.

But somehow, some way, Y/N took a liking to him. Him of all people. Scaramouche knew very well that there was so many other people out there for Y/N, yet they chose him. A fatui harbinger. Someone who always had on a good-guy front, but was really a manipulative mastermind.

Not only did Y/N know who he really was, but they forgave him for deceiving them the way he did. What he did was unforgivable, he allowed them to build up a fake trust in him just to break it. And now, he was slowly building it back up again. He was very lucky, not everyone gets a second chance like that, and he was aware of it.

Scaramouche had his head resting on his arms which were on the table. While his head was down, he closed his eyes for a split second, only to eventually lose consciousness and fall asleep.

♢♢♢

Scaramouche slowly opened his eyes, half expecting to see the light coming through the window, but he was wrong. Had he woken up in the middle of the night? Or was it just raining?

He got up, careful not to make any noise just in case it was late at night. He walked up to the window, glancing out at the outside.

"Scaramouche?" Y/N questioned softly from behind him.

He flinched and turned around quickly, "Oh Y/N! Sorry, did I wake you?"

They shook their head, "No, I just finished my work and was coming to check on you."

Scaramouche walked up to them, frowning, "You were still working? It's so late.."

Y/N nervously chuckled. They shrugged it off like it was nothing but he could tell they were clearly upset because of the ordeal, "I'm used to it. I'm usually stuck with the boring jobs like these."

He sighed. Instead of dwelling on the subject, Y/N changed it, "Well, want to go to bed now? Sorry I kicked you out of my room like that."

"Don't worry about it," he smiled. The two walked back into Y/N's room, getting ready to go to bed, even though it was already so late.

Even after doing this for a few nights, it seemed weird to Scaramouche. Well, it was less weird, but more different. He'd never shared a bed with someone before, even if they were just sleeping. It was quite the comforting feeling.

He started to believe something was wrong with him. He began to feel that he wasn't in a right state of mind. The real him would never let someone into his life like that, at least that's what he thought. Perhaps Y/N really was an evil witch..

The two laid next to each other. While it was still kind of awkward, they'd both gotten quite used to it by now, even if it had only been for a few days.

"Scaramouche?" Y/N asked softly, Scaramouche turned his head to face them. They continued, "You never really talk that much about yourself. I-I mean.. I know your job is still secretive, but I feel like I hardly know anything about you."

It was true, Scaramouche never told them anything about himself. And quite frankly, he didn't really know anything about himself either.

His life was purely work, he never did anything but work. He didn't really have any hobbies or talents to show off, he didn't have any close family either. Scaramouche knew there wouldn't be much to talk about.

"Hm," he glanced back to the ceiling, trying to think, "I never really thought about it. I guess my time is so consumed with work, that I don't have time for leisurely activities."

Y/N turned to him, "That's so sad. You don't even have one hobby? Nothing you like to do? Nowhere you want to go?"

Scaramouche sighed, "Not really. The freedom a Harbinger has is very limited you know."

They pouted, though Scaramouche couldn't see them, "I'll be sure to find you a hobby before you leave!"

He gently smiled. He couldn't ever resist Y/N's sweetness and generosity, even when they could be quite scary at times.

But he respected Y/N for that reason. Most people cower in fear whenever Scaramouche says something, but Y/N always had such snarky comebacks. They weren't afraid of him, and that intrigued him.

"By the way.." Y/N's tone of voice changed from a confident one to a saddened one, "You leave the day after tomorrow, right..?"

Scaramouche replied, "Yeah, that's correct." It pained him to know that he had to leave Y/N behind. The more he thought about it, the more he regretted ever coming back for them. He should've left Y/N alone to spare himself the heartbreak.

To his surprise, Y/N had leaned their head on his chest. It was the first time Y/N had crossed that invisible line they enforced on the bed.

"I'm going to miss you." They said, exhaustion in their voice.

Scaramouche couldn't help but turn a bit red. Nobody had ever said those words to him. He never thought he needed to hear such words, but at that moment, he realized how much he always longed to hear someone say that.

He put his arm around them, "I'm going to miss you too, Y/N."

A/N

Ahh final exams are over and it's summer now ^^ I can finally be stress free!

Having an existential crisis rn because I'm now in my last year of high school and then I'll be an adult that has to get a job and pay tAXES-