Chapter 38

Note: I don't own Haikyuu and stuff. NSFW.

The normal routine's back in place, occasional visits with mostly video calls... at least once the bandages come off so it's not noticeable. He had to get a few stitches so a hospital visit was necessary when the split skin at his hairline behind his ear wouldn't stop bleeding, Touma blaming him being a klutz as per usual and Shohei nodding along. Otherwise, Bokuto and his routine are basically normal again.

One new thing is the increased physical intimacy (stronger urges with hormones galore) now that they've actually experienced some of a new level. Teenage boy issues. It's really embarrassing at first, more so for the shy raven, but eventually they end up getting used to the webcam or waiting for a visit. The internet's their best friend right now for everything, giving them a way to be as close as possible without physical ability. It also gives them ideas to try to make the distance easier to handle on all fronts, in the bedroom and even dates like movie nights or dinner.

A lot of times they carry their laptops or cells wherever they go in their houses or take random pictures to attach to their messages when they can't, though there are times where they go days with a few texts at best. Sometimes, things happen that make Bokuto even more certain something is wrong in Fukunaga's life that the smaller simply will not discuss. Times like when they're on a video call and they hear the front door, Shohei's suddenly terrified and running through the house while apologizing before ending the call despite not doing anything Bokuto can see that could be wrong or times where the cat's too sore to move very well (he knows it isn't from practice, he's asked and not just Fukunaga) or there's screaming nearby out of nowhere making Shohei quick to get off and such or just ends it and has to apologize later for disappearing. Little things, but they're adding up more and more.

The worst part is, Fukunaga always has an excuse and brushes it off or just brushes it off without one. Sometimes, Shohei will simply stare back without bothering to say anything with a completely neutral face when Bokuto tries to pry, but there are times where the cat stares and he just looks so damn... tired.

Bokuto hates it. He's pretty sure a few of their calls were in a closet of all things but can't prove it and even if he could, Sho can be quirky. They really are attached at the hip, but easily function without when needed as they find out the hard way.

Both are on each other's minds more as time passes and it's in less of a 'wonder what he's doing' or 'is he thinking about me too?' giddy crush kind of way. It morphs into more of an 'in a year or two, we'll be doing this' or 'eventually, we'll go there' or 'one day, we'll do that' first love kind of way with even a few 'down the road, we'll...' or 'in ten years, we can...' moments the longer their relationship goes on. They plan things out better, work more naturally together over time. Bokuto getting a hell of a lot faster at Sign with all the constant use with everyone (even his mom's gotten pretty good) and becoming closer on deeper levels as their bond builds. They even practice volleyball in the backyard sometimes or seek to vent to the other first.

It's changed into something far more serious and long-term commitment than they ever imagined it would or even could. They aren't complaining at each new discovery they make, they cherish them. They don't always agree, but they're very happy.

They spend a bit of the holiday together, though Fuku isn't able to stay as long as he'd like. Christmas eve is spent as a couple with lots of sweet first major holiday moments (not counting Halloween where they didn't spend it 'together', it was spent with their friends with a lot going on but it was still really fun) as a couple and silly outfits. Christmas day has Shohei far more nervous than he thought he could be.

They're invited to Hana's for the traditional yearly 'family dinner' as she calls it, something Fuku's never done. The conversation really throws him off. His boyfriend says 'we' when agreeing to go like it's normal, Fukunaga asks if the older means him as well. Upon confirmation, Shohei tries to gently make a point without offending anyone. "I don't know if it's a good idea for me to go, I wouldn't want to intrude."