thirty-five

That night had been a blur. Y/n knew Emma had consoled her, told her it was going to be fine, but that was about it. She fell asleep again. Dozed off just like that.

But she'd noticed that Emma didn't ask what happened with Harry. How and why it happened. Y/n wondered if Ben told her the truth. She knew they were close, probably the closest.

It wouldn't had mattered anyway if he told her. It was done. Game over.

Y/n was thinking of shredding the contract into pieces, burning it, just destroying it.

But when the morning came, when she heard girls in her dorm chirping and giggling, doors opening and shutting, she just got out of bed, did her morning routine, like she'd do normally.

She didn't know how she'd bring herself to be next to Harry. The embarrassment, the hurt.

Would Harry still sit with them anyway? Or would he crash at the Ravenclaw table?

Y/n went down the stairs with Emma – and when she got to the common room, she saw Theo. He was putting books in his backpack, and Y/n saw he was wearing long sleeves.

She casted Theo a worried look and he caught it. He tried to tell her that he was fine with a smile. But she had to apologize, she had to thank him, she had to.

"You go on, i'll meet you at the hall," said Y/n to Emma, reassuring her with a pat on her shoulder. Emma was skeptical, but when she noticed Y/n was looking at Theo, she nodded. "See you there."

Slowly, Y/n walked over towards him, her lips curved into a small smile. He was now loosening his tie, returning that smile. When she reached him, he seemed to be struggling with his tie, grunting as he tried to take it off.

He gave her a nervous chuckle, still tugging on it. "Sorry," he mumbled, "This thing is practically choking me."

She watched as he continued to struggle, still awkwardly standing and smiling there. But then Y/n stepped closer and cleared her throat. She placed her hands on his chest. He looked at her, sparkling eyes, his breath hitched being so close to her.

"Would you like me to help you with this?" she offered. Theo gulped, nodding eagerly. "Sure," he said. He tried his best to slow down his rapid heart beats. 

"Okay," smiled Y/n as she untangled his tie. "Listen, Theo, i want to thank you for yesterday, you didn't have to do that." Theo placed his hands on her elbows, and for a brief minute Y/n stopped her hands, as the tie dangles freely from his neck. "Oh, but i wanted to, i thought it was the right thing to do - you are always welcome."

Y/n smiled, lost in his eyes before she began to tie his tie again, properly. "You feeling okay?" he asked. Y/n presumed he was talking about Harry, and how she was holding up. "I guess i haven't told you, but i know that you could tell.. Harry and i broke up."

"Oh," he said, raising his eyebrows. "I'm very sorry to hear that - i - i thought you guys were great together."

Y/n could tell that he was genuine.

They stayed silent. Both didn't know what to say. Y/n looked down and fiddled with her fingers while Theo was trying to figure her out. She could feel his eyes burning on her.

"So," he cleared his throat. Y/n looked up at his eyes. "Thanks for this," said Theo, smiling and holding up his tie. She nodded, chuckling. "Yeah, no problem."

"Do you want to walk to the hall together?" he asked.
"I'd love to," Y/n agreed, and they were off.

When they walked into the great hall together, Y/n's eyes found Harry immediately. He was at the Ravenclaw table, with Cho, laughing, talking, messing around with their food. It pained her to see that. She didn't feel like Harry smiled half as wide with her than he did with Cho.