Chapter 2 - A baby

LV 2 - A baby

As the basement's entrance was already sealed by the raging fire, they could no longer use that path to escape. The basement was built underground, surrounded by soil, so Violet could not make a new exit through the walls.

If she was alone, she could just walk past the fire. But with the addition of a baby in her arms and the baggage of a man, she had to think of another way.

The baby in her arms whined, his eyes halfway closed, unable to bear the sting from the smoke. His breathing was disturbed by the smoke, letting out tiny coughs in an attempt to seek for fresh oxygen.

They could not stay here anymore. The fastest way to get out of here was to send everything flying.

With one arm wrapping around the baby and the other grabbing the man's arm, she stepped out of the cage. She does not care how rough she treated the man's unconscious body, dragging him across the floor.

Her heart felt a burst of sick satisfaction before it was quickly pushed down, her heart regained tranquility.

Once out of the cage, she dropped his arm carelessly and it hit the floor with a smack. With her free hand, she grabbed onto the cage that was specially designed to be thick and sturdy, likely to lock something dangerous in it. Violet had only seen dangerous and unstable werewolves use such a cage to lock themselves in once the full moon appeared, but she did not smell any werewolves from the cage.

This incident was getting even more complicated than she liked.

There was not even a pause when she easily picked up the heavy cage with one hand without needing to gather energy beforehand. She made it look so easy, but if this scene was recorded and went viral, humans will insist this was a computer graphic effect.

Next, she tossed the cage upward with a casual fling and it flew straight up at the speed of a rocket, breaking past the floor and roof. It was only when it flew far away did she wonder if she should worry about where it would land.

Hearing her men's shock at the cage's sudden appearance, Violet threw the worry away. If her men were curious, they could investigate it. She was not going to go out of her way to tell them about the cage.

Now that there was a big hole straight to freedom, Violet grabbed the man and jumped out from the hole with a single leap. Her feet landed on the roof that was still standing, her skin telling her that the sun will be approaching in less than two hours.

"Mistress!" Stuart called out in relief and Risa approached Violet who had jumped down from the roof.

"Mistress, please allow me to carry them."

Violet passed the man to Risa offhandedly, but not the baby. Seeing that her mistress made no move to let go of the baby, Risa did not continue asking about it.

The baby coughed, this time due to the smoke that made his throat dry. His small face scrunched, looking uncomfortable, and rubbed his tiny fist over his dirty face.

"Give me some water."

Everyone stilled and awkwardness spread around. Everyone here was vampires and had no need to drink water.

"I have some blood left, Mistress!" A young brunette vampire cheerfully handed a flask to Violet.

"Humans don't drink blood, Peter," Risa answered on Violet's behalf.

"But we are not human." Peter looked at Risa strangely.

"I will return first." Violet had no interest in listening to such idiocy. "Delay the firefighter as much as you can. Help the fire burn down the house completely."