The Mysterious Girl

____________________

Chapter - 14
____________

Mister Briney walked into the guest room to check up on the girl he saved in the afternoon, she had been sleeping there since then, Briney was extra careful with her for some reason, he was glad he saved her on time. The girl was gazing at the ceiling, she did not even notice Mister Briney at the doorway.

Briney cleared his throat loudly and the girl instantly looked at him with a soft gaze, she looked tired, Briney knew something terrible had happened to her but was too afraid to ask.

"Thank you." Said the girl, her voice was sweet, Briney smiled. "I'm hungry."

"Come on out, then." Briney opened the door completely. "Or should I bring-"

"I'll come outside." Said the girl, her tone got darker than before. Briney got worried, he knew something bad was going on and he wanted to ask the girl, but he also knew the questions would cause her nothing but pain.

Within a few minutes, both were right in front of each other on the dining table. The girl started eating the rice Briney had cooked. "Delicious." She said, eating like it was her last.

"I need to go tomorrow morning, I don't know if I could repay what you have done for me." Said the girl, she did not even look at Briney and continued eating. Briney was shocked, but he could not let her leave like that, he wanted to help her with whatever the problem was.

"Can I ask you why you were-" Briney was interrupted by the girl.

"I fell, I had no energy. But now I am fine, thanks to you. Where is my bag, it had something important?"

"Don't worry, it's in my boat, right outside. I'll bring it to you." The girl quickly glanced outside the window, and looked at the boat.

"No, it's fine, tomorrow I can take it." The girl panicked.

Briney got confused, a minute ago she was talking slowly and calmly and now she's panicking over a bag? "Okay, what's your name, where are you from? Do I need to call someone?" And now Briney regretted asking those questions, it was exactly he didn't wanna do.

"My name? Uh, it's Enid. And I'm from Lilycove City, and you do not need to call anyone." Enid stood up and walked to the kitchen to clean her utensils. Briney was amazed, the girl was just a twelve year old but she talked like an older teenager, like a sixteen or seventeen year old. "Goodnight, sir." Said Enid, walking back to the guest room.

Briney looked at the picture of her daughter, who passed away 25 years ago, she looked alot like Enid, Briney smiled and said, "Goodnight, Enid."

Enid lay in the bed and pulled up the quilt, even though the temperature was warm, she felt cold. She stared at the ceiling continuously.

Soon, she was asleep, warm in the bed, dreaming. In her dream, Enid was standing in a clearing in a forest. The forest was familiar to her, she had seen it a million times before.

They have it. I'm sorry, I couldn't stop them, I'm too weak. - said a voice that belonged to a girl. Enid was worried, she looked scared.

Where are they now? Where they taking it? - Enid asked, shouting. Her voice echoed in the entire forest.

You have to, stop them. - the voice was muffled this time and faded.

Where? Tell me, where? Don't leave! - Enid cried. Enid woke up from her restless sleep, panting.

It was 3 in the morning, Enid slowly got out of bed and walked outside the room. She wanted to run away from Briney's cottage, she did not want to waste more time resting.

She tip-toed to the main door and tried to open it, it was tight. She applied all her force to slide it open.

The door opened with a thud. Mister Briney woke up.

Enid's heartbeat got faster, she quickly ran to the boat, where Briney had left her sling bag. It was too important to her.

Briney took a flashlight and quickly checked Enid's room. She was gone. He started walking to the main door, he wasn't fast enough as his leg muscles didn't allow it. He looked outside of the kitchen window, Enid was standing on the boat, looking for her sling bag.

Briney was worried about the girl, he turned around and walked outside. "Come on, Enid. It's too late, you can go in the morning." Said Briney, looking at the boat. Enid was gone.

Briney was shocked, a moment ago she was standing there.

Enid had vanished.