Lotad's Birthday - II

____________________

Chapter - 17
____________

Knock. Knock. Knock.

A door was knocked thrice, the old damaged wooden door was almost coming apart. The house to which the door belonged to was isolated, somewhere on a hill on an island, from where one could see nothing but water in any chosen direction.

A sound was heard - of locks, unlocking. The metal was too loud and heavy, the wood form the door cracked and fell as splinters on the ground, finally vanishing in the tall damp grass.

"Heil Esmeralda, þat er mik - Enid." Said Enid, glancing at the old house one more time, she had been here before.

The door opened revealing an old woman, crying of happiness. She wore a gray t-shirt underneath a black apron dress. Her hair were black, with some of them being white, but her face was as wrinkled as an 80 year old.

"After Andrin, no-one discourses Old Norse hither." Esmeralda spoke with a slight effort. She giggled. "Not wearing mine dentures."

"Yeah let's not show off the languages." Said Enid, she placed her hands on Esmeralda's cheeks. "You've grown old since we last met, when was it?"

"About forty years ago." Esmeralda smiled. She walked inside towards a couch. "Make yourself at home."

"I'll be visiting you more often, and I mean it this time." Enid walked right behind Esmeralda, she carefully placed her sling bag on the table in front of the couch Esmeralda was now sitting on.

Esmeralda smiled, she was delighted by Enid's visit and she was more delighted that Enid was going to visit more. She closed her eyes, clearing her mind as Enid's visit reminded Esmeralda of her dark past.

"Where is Edo?" Esmeralda asked, she quickly looked at Enid's bag. "Oh, okay. And what are you doing here?"

"It's the nine hundred and ninety ninth year of something." Said Enid, with her usual plain expression. Esmeralda was shook.

"Not good. Not good, not - good." Esmeralda stood up without an effort, she was frightened and excited at the same time. "I almost forgot, it's been that long already?"

"It has, and for a human, you're quite forgetful. I thought we were the ones with small brains." Enid reminded Esmeralda.

"I'm old, okay? I'm not immortal like you." Esmeralda complained. "I'll look for my diary, and tell you the exact 7 days when it's going to happen-" Esmeralda was interrupted by Enid.

"That won't be necessary. I already know when, and when it does, I promise we get what we deserve. I'm going to get justice again, like old times." Enid smiled.

Esmeralda's eyes were filled with joy, just by catching Enid smiling. "You're finally smiling again, don't lose it. How long has Edo-" Esmeralda was interrupted again.

"35 years maybe." Enid replied in an instant. "It is my duty to keep her safe, but now I no longer will be able to. That's what I'm here for, I want you to have her, would you take care of Edo for me?"

"I will." Promised Esmeralda. Enid smiled again, this time her teeth were visible, she unzipped her bag and pulled out an old rusted Pokéball. The Pokéball was bigger than regular Pokéballs and had a small dial and a slot for battery.