It Was Nothing

We gasped split apart immediately.

"Nothing! Nothing at all, father." Terricus replied quickly.

"Yeah! I mean, yes sir! We weren't doing anything. Just talking." I mentally cursed myself for letting the 'yeah' slip. My time on land has weakened my royal manners.

"That's not what it looked like!" Acurn boomed. "Who is she?" He pointed at Skye? "And you." He narrowed his eyes at me. "Who are you?"

"Dad this is Skye and PRINCESS Delilha." Terricus said, stressing my name.

"Princess Delilha?" He asked.

"Yes sir. It's me." I confirmed.

"Oh my! I hardly recognized you! How are you?!? It's been 5 years!"

I smiled. "Yes sir. It has certainly been a long time, your highness." I curtsied. He waved his hand dismissively.

"Oh please! No need to be formal! Come here! Give me a hug!"

I laughed and swam over. He was always like a second father to me. He didn't replace my real dad but he was as kind as one. I gave him a big gigantic hug an he hugged me back.

"So how have you been, Acurn." I used his real name because I was allowed to because I am royalty.

He laughed, let me go, and replied, "I've been doing well down here. How's The Land Above the Waves been treating you?"

I laughed. "You can just call it land. And ok I guess. I made a friend, Skye. I have/had a boyfriend. I'm not really sure where we stand on that topic. I have a friend who's gay. His name is Marcus. Do you remember my mother's friend Annabel?"

"Yes. Why?"

"This is her daughter." I motion to Skye.

"Oh my! You are fair Annabel's daughter? You are most lovely. It is a pleasure to have you here."

Skye looked freaked out. "Skye. Say something!" I whispered to her.

"Um. Hi?" She said unsure of herself.

I groaned and did a facepalm. Here she was in front of a very powerful mer-king who was calling her beautiful and all she says is hi. Terricus laughed and I glared at him. "Pardon my friend, she is unfamiliar with compliments from older men and mer-manners."

Acurn laughed. "Oh it's fine. I figured as much. She's part fairy. Different set of rules and manners and such."

"Thank you." I said.

"Let's so to my palace. It's not far. Then we can send you back to land and no one has to know about what has happened today."

"Oh really?" I asked excitedly. "That would be wonderful! But my parents are probably worried sick. It's got to be," I looked up and realized the sun was setting. "At least 5 or 6! They are going to freak!"

"Don't worry. I shall contact your mother as soon as we reach the palace."

"Thank you Acurn that's great. They are going to be so mad that I just disappeared. I didn't even think to text them first. How crazy is that?" I didn't realize I was speaking aloud until Acurn said,

"Relax. I am sure your parents will understand."

"Oh." Was all I said as we all swam toward the palace in an awkward silence. I'm sure Acurn started talking to Skye at one point but I ignored them and let my mind wander. Of course, all I thought about was Terricus. I wondered if he was thinking about me too. My mind went to the last place I wanted it to. The rejection. I was 10 and he was 11. I was in the garden writing about my life as a hybrid. When he swam up to me he was hesitant, but we were friends so all of our previous problems were gone. When I saw him I hurried and told him to look at this rare flower I had found. It was a beautiful shade of baby pink with a sky blue center. "Look at this flower! Isn't it beautiful?" I asked and he nodded.