Now They've Met

3rd person POV (back at lunch)

Yeah, didn't think I'd do that, huh? Enjoy...

"So, I made a fool of myself today."

Tom smirked, "Yeah, and what else is new?"

Toby gave his brother a light shove on the shoulder, before turning back to Ran, "What happened?"

Ran took a deep breath, "So there's this girl in my physics class—"

"You mean Y/N?" Tom interrupts. 

Ran was startled, "What? How did you know I was talking about her?"

Toby rolled his eyes, "Dude, it's obvious. You talk about Y/N constantly. We know you like her."

Tom quickly interrupted his brother, "Now tell us what happened!"

"Alright, alright," Ran started, "We were assigned a project today, and I saw she didn't have a partner. So I asked her. But I was a stuttering mess the whole time, so I don't know what she thinks of me."

Toby patted Ran's arm in support, "I'm sure it wasn't that bad. At least you were able to say something. Are you going to find a time to work on the project together?"

"Not yet, but I have her number."

Toby and Tom both gaped, "Woah! Nice job big man!" Tom exclaimed. 

Ran smiled to himself, Maybe I'm not doing so bad, he thought. 

Meanwhile, Tom had a smirk on his face, looking over at Y/N's table. Toby noticed this, "What are you plotting now?"

"Oh nothing," Tom responded, which only made Toby more sure that he was plotting something. 

Ran was a bit scared himself, but decided not to worry about it. At least for now. 

—time skip to the next day and POV back to 2nd person—

You woke up the next day to your alarm buzzing. Time to get up for school. You grudgingly got out of bed and got ready for the day, said hi to a sleeping Techno, and drove yourself to school. 

Your first few classes went normally. Then, physics came. 

Mr Jacobs was more excited than usual this morning. He immediately started class with some extra suggested resources and helpful tips for our projects, before directing the class to get into their groups. The whole class shuffled around to sit next to their partners. The girl sitting in the chair next to you had moved, leaving it open. 

You glanced over to where Ran was sitting. He was grabbing his bags to move to the now unoccupied seat next to you. 

You waved to him as a sign of greeting, before getting out your laptop and setting up your things. 

"Hi Y/N," Ran said, nervousness still creeping on the edges of his voice. 

"Hi Ran," you said back, "I'll make the presentation file and invite you to join."

Ran nodded and took out his own laptop. It was considerably nicer than yours. You made the Google Slides and found his school email address, giving him editing access to the newly created "Untitled presentation."

Ran's icon appeared in the corner of the screen: an image of a Minecraft enderman. No, you spoke too soon, it was a gif of a Minecraft enderman screaming. 

"Nice profile gif," you said, glancing to your side. 

Ran looked like he was caught off guard, "O-oh, t-thanks!"

You smiled at Ran before turning back to your own screen, opening another tab and searching for articles on infrared waves. 

You found a few good ones and put the links on the presentation so you could keep track of them for later. Ran also put a few of his sources on the slide. 

Neither of you talked for the rest of class. You only saw Ran's icon move as he added another source to the slideshow. 

Soon enough, the bell rang. As you were packing up your stuff, you heard Ran ask, "Hey, do you think we could get together this weekend? T-to work on the project?" 

You thought for a minute. Today was Thursday. What were you doing this weekend? Oh right, literally nothing. 

"Sure, sounds great!" you said. 

"Awesome! I'll text you my address," said Ran as he closed his backpack and stood up. 

"Ok! See you!"

You walked out of the room and down to the cafeteria, excited to see your friends. 

You all greeted each other as normal. 

"Soooooo, how did it go with Raaaaan?" said Eliza, with a huge mischievous grin plastered on her face. You saw Cash's features tense a bit, before he relaxed. 

"It went fine. He invited me over this weekend to work on the project."

Eliza glanced at Hayley, "OOOOOH!" they both exclaimed. 

"What? It's not like there's anything going on between us," you said, defending yourself. 

"Hmm, suuuure," Eliza said sarcastically. You rolled your eyes. 

A few minutes later, a tall-ish, blonde-haired boy approached the table. It was none other than Tom Smithins. 

"Hey Eliza," he said, with a slightly flirtatious tone. 

"Hi Tom," Eliza replied, copying his tone. 

"Do you wanna go to a movie this weekend? Maybe Saturday at 8?"

Your mouth dropped open and you closed it quickly. 

"Sure, that sounds fun," Eliza told him with a smile. 

This time your jaw dropped and stayed that way. You and Hayley made eye contact across the table. The shock was written all over her face, too. 

"Alright, see you then," Tom said, turning away. 

Eliza waved at him. As soon as Tom was out of earshot, you and Hayley let loose on her with questions. 

"Oh my god, do you like him?"

"Do you think it's a date?"

"What would you do if he asked you out?"

"Are you gonna kiss him?"

"Can I be the maid of honor at your wedding?"

Eliza raised up her hands in defense, "Woah, it's just a movie. Calm down, geez."

Cash gave you a tap on the shoulder, "I think Tom's happy about it."

You turned around just in time to see Tom high-fiving his brother. Ran looked happy for him, too. 

Hmm, Ran was nice. You were glad you were seeing him this weekend, even if it was just to work on a project. 

You hid your phone under the table and texted Hayley and Cash, asking if they would meet you at the movie theaters to spy on Eliza's date. 

They immediately replied yes. 

You glanced back over at Ran. Why not? you thought. You shot him a text. 

You

hey do u wanna spy on eliza and toms date this weekend

Ran

lol sure. ill invite toby too

Perfect. Your little stalking party was now in place. Oooh, this was going to be fun. 

But for now, you just ate your PB&J. 

Hey y'all! Hope you're liking the story so far. Don't actually do this to your friends irl. It's weird and people should have their privacy. It's just for story purposes. Got it? Awesome. 

Word count: 1134