Now I See

This was it. The blind double date. Eliza was going to pick you up in about 5 minutes. You'd been procrastinating your homework in favor of overthinking your outfit, but you finally settled on (pick any fancy-ish outfit you're comfortable in). Everything was ready. 

The talk with Techno had really helped. It made you realize you weren't obligated to do anything with your date, whoever they may be. That relieved some of the pressure. 

You saw Eliza's car pull up outside your house. You yelled to Techno that you were leaving, to which he just grunted. It might've just been your imagination, but it kinda sounded like an oink. You walked down and got into the car with Eliza. 

"Hey, Y/N! Ready for the date?" Eliza was wearing a flattering red dress, and her curly golden hair was styled to make it look even more curly and golden. 

"Ready as I'll ever be," you replied. You hadn't done that much makeup, just some subtle lipgloss and mascara. Eliza had put on a bit more, with her lips blaring red and her eyelids highlighted with a dark blue tone. You knew she liked dressing up, and she was damn good at it too. 

"You look great!" you said, trying to get the subject off of how you felt. 

"Aww, thanks! So do you, queen!" she said, flipping one of her curls and putting the car in drive. 

You chatted about random things until you arrived at the restaurant. It was certainly fancy. The waiters and waitresses all wore fancy dress shirts under their aprons, and the warm lighting, elaborate paintings and soft jazz music in the background really helped the vibe of the place. 

You were about ten minutes early for your reservation, which had been set for 7pm. Eliza walked up to the maître d and said "We're here for the reservation under Tom Smithins?"

The finely dressed man looked through his device--an ordinary iPad on a fancy stand--and replied, "You're early, so we don't have your table ready yet. Would you two ladies mind waiting for a little while?"

"Certainly not. Thank you," Eliza said. You both walked to the corner of the waiting area and stood around and chatted. 

A few minutes later, Eliza's phone buzzed. She pulled it out of her purse and opened the message. A look of shock formed on her face. She frantically texted back. 

"What happened?" you asked. 

"It's...m-my mom...she's...she's...i-in the h-hospital...I...I have to go see her!" Eliza spat out. 

"Then go! Don't worry about me. I hope everything goes well," you reassured her. You didn't know if you'd actually be fine on your own, but this was more important. 

She touched your shoulder, "Thank you," then dashed out of the restaurant. 

Great. You had been counting on Eliza for emotional support--and she was your ride home. You guessed you'd have to ask Tom, then. 

As you were starting to question life's purpose, you heard the maître d speak up, "Tom Smithins? Your table is ready."

Tom and your date weren't there yet, so you walked up, "I'm here, but my friend had to leave. So it'll just be three for tonight. The other two should be here soon," you said, surprised you didn't stutter. 

The man gave a set of three menus to a waiter. "Right this way, miss," he said, and walked into the sea of fancy tables with fancy people eating fancy food. He brought you to a square table by the window, and set down the three menus. You sat down in a chair and thanked the waiter before staring at the menu. It was a lot of stuff you couldn't pronounce, so you spent a few minutes looking things up on your phone. You found that one of the items was a pasta dish, so you settled on that and tried to work out what you'd say when Tom and your date arrived.