... And Learn to Fly

September 12, 2021
— JJ's POV
A splitting headache woke me up the next morning. I slowly sat up in bed and then realized it wasn't my bed-- I was in Emily's dorm. I rubbed my eyes so I could see a little better and get more acquainted with my surroundings. A post-it note was tacked to Emily's nightstand and it had my name on it so I picked it up: JJ, Brought you back to my room to make sure you were looked after overnight. There's Advil and a glass of water next to you. Might be asleep when you read this so just shout. -Em

I scrunched my brows and called, "Emily?" I heard fumbling around in the lounge and then saw Emily trudge into the room where I was.

"Are you okay?"

I groaned, "What happened?"

"You uh, remember talking to that guy at the bar?"

"Yeah."

"He um... He slipped something in your drink. After a few minutes you started to get really... out if it. Maybe you remember that part, too, I don't know."

I rubbed my forehead, "Ugh. I... I remember feeling really dizzy. Then I remember him trying to make me leave with him. Then uh, I remember you coming over. Telling him to walk away."

She chuckled, "Oh I did more than that."

"Thanks, Em. I hope I wasn't too much trouble."

She walked over and sat on the end of the bed, "Not at all. I'm just glad you're okay... Do you need anything?"

"No, you've already done so much. Giving me your bed. And your Advil." I looked down at myself, "And your shirt."

"Well you got a little vomit on yours last night so it's only fair to give you something clean to sleep in."

"Ew, sorry you had to see that."

"It's fine, really. I'm just glad you're okay."

I smiled at her, "You said that already."

"Oh. Well I'm just glad you're okay." I laughed and picked up the water and meds she gave me, downing them and laying back on her bed.

I asked her, "Don't you have a class?"

"I'm skipping Comp."

"Why?"

"Because you're here."

"Em, I don't want you to miss class for me."

"Do I look like someone who gives a shit?"

I giggled, "Perhaps not. Where's Tara?"

"She left early for some Philosophy lecture."

"So she was here last night?" Emily nodded. "So you had to sleep on the couch?" She nodded again. I whined, "I feel so bad, I'm so sorry."

She chuckled, "JJ it's really no problem. I'd rather be here with you than be in class anyway."

I sat up a little more, "So what's the plan for the day."

"No plan. You're taking it slow today."

I scoffed, "Says who?"

"Says me. Just rest."

"Can I at least get up to pee?" She nodded and pointed her hand in the direction of the bathroom. I slid out of bed and shut the bathroom door behind me. I finished and stood back up to look in the mirror-- my hair was a little messy but gave me a sexy haphazard kind of look. Emily's t-shirt was a little big on me, the hem landing around my mid-thigh, but wearing her clothes made me feel comfy. I opened the door and walked back into the main room. Emily was kneeling on the floor next to her record bin, scanning through it trying to find something to play. "Whatcha lookin for?" I asked her from the doorway.

"I don't know yet. I'll know it when I find it." I took this time to look around their dorm a little more. Emily's side was surprisingly more put together, neater. She had strings of polaroids hanging over her bed-- a mix of Derek, Aaron, Tara, Spencer, Haley, and herself. Her bed had simple navy sheets on it, and one single throw pillow was housed on the end of it along with her laptop, which was completely covered in stickers. The side of her wardrobe hung several sweatshirts along with her letterman jacket. I hoped she'd let me borrow that sometime. On the floor in front of her bed was an acoustic guitar resting on a stand.

I pointed to it, "You play?"

She looked up at me to see what I was referring to, "I do."

I marveled at the rest of her stuff and breathed out, "You're so cool."

She smiled up at me, "What was that?"

I blushed, "I said you're cool. I... I think you're really cool." I sat back down on Emily's bed, leaning against the wall and pulling her pillow in my lap. It smelled just like her. I loved it.

"Thanks, I try." She picked up The Beatle's White Album and exclaimed, "Ah! How bout this?" She took it out and set it on the record player, moving the needle to a certain spot. Soft music started to play, and Emily stood up to snatch her guitar. I smiled and bit my lip as she sat on the bed next to me with it, tuning it up. She expertly strummed along to the music, and the whole display was making me so attracted to her. Still focused on the strings of the guitar, she mindlessly started to hum the tune of the song.

I scooted closer to her and asked, "What song is this?"

"It's called 'Blackbird.' You like it?" She looked up at me, swallowing hard when our faces landed a mere two inches apart.

"I love it." My vision darted from her eyes to her lips and back again. I softly said to her, "Kiss me." Without drifting her gaze away from me, she set the guitar down and lifted my face up with one hand to gently close the distance between our lips. I reached up and ran my fingers through her hair as we made out. She was a really good kisser and was being uncharacteristically gentle, showing me how much she really cared about my comfort. I did something next that I hadn't seen myself doing yet.

I pulled away from her mouth and grabbed her hand, tracing patterns on her palm as I said to her, "I uh... I remember something else from last night."

"You do?"

"Mmhmm... 'She's my girl, now let her go before I kick the shit out of you.'"

"Oh, JJ, I didn't mean it like you were--"

"No one's ever stood up for me like that before." I smiled at her, "You uh, you really care about your girl, don't you?"

"There's nothing I wouldn't do for her."

"She sounds pretty lucky."

Emily shook her head, "I'm the lucky one."

I brushed her hair back and took a deep breath before saying, "My girlfriend is so chivalrous."

"Y-Your what?"

"You heard me."

"You're uh... You're ready?"

"I'm ready, Em."