Are You Happy With Him?

The night is dark, the air is cool. Sparks dance away from the fire, and the Gladers mill about watching Gally pummel whatever boy had the misfortune to step into the circle with him, all the while pretending they can't see the looming walls of the Maze rising up around them. Thomas is seated on the ground a distance away from everyone else, back leaned up against a fallen tree trunk while he listens to Newt explain everything there is to know about the Glade and the Maze and whatever else Thomas asks him.

The sound of footsteps draws close, and seconds later another boy swings into a seat next to the two of them. Newt grins to see his friend. "Thomas, this is Minho. Think you've seen him around before, he's a Runner." Minho waves a greeting to Thomas, then glances back in the same direction as the two boys. "Newt talking you through life here in the Glade?"

Thomas nods. Minho keeps glancing around the campfire, then chuckles slightly when his eyes fall on the lone girl standing among the other Gladers. "Newt mentioned her yet?" Newt groans, but Thomas shakes his head. "No, not once. Who is she?" Minho adjusts his position so he's facing Thomas, holding up his hands as if the runner's about to deliver a key piece of information.

"That right there is Y/N. She's a Med-Jack, although we all call her a Med-Jane because we're a bunch of shanks who like to mess with our friends. The reason she's so important is because Newt here is head over heels for her." Newt rolls his eyes. "That's not true, Minho, and you know that. Besides, it doesn't matter how any one of us feel about her, because she's seeing Gally. End of story."

Minho groans. "Come on, Newt, there's not a single person here who'd believe that klunk. Newt's obsessed with her, but to be fair, we all kind of are. Anyways, the point is she's one of the best Med-Jacks here, but you wouldn't know it because Gally gives us a death stare whenever we talk about her for more than thirty seconds."

Thomas looks up to see Y/N approaching the three boys. She jerks her head at them, and Newt and Minho move over so she can sit down. "I heard my name being mentioned. You telling the Greenie about how I'm the best person in the Glade by far?" Minho laughs. "We were saying that if he ever breaks an arm he should go to Clint instead." Y/N lunges over to hit Minho on the shoulder, and the friends break into laughter.

Newt reaches behind him to grab a glass full of a frothy (and somehow dirty) amber liquid, taking a sip to Y/N's disgust. She makes a face at him. "Honestly, I don't know how you stand that stuff. It's foul." Newt grins at her. "Your own boyfriend makes it, I feel like you should at least pretend to stomach it like the rest of us." Y/N rolls her eyes. "Not even our relationship can make me want to look at that poison."

She sighs suddenly, eyes travelling across the campfire to where Gally's pummeling yet another Glader into submission. "And it wouldn't be the only habit of Gally's that I disagree with." Minho nods slowly. "It's the Med-Jane impulse. Stops you every time." Y/N gives him a look dripping with outrage, and she and the boys dissolve into laughter.

After a while, limbs get stiff and the four stand up to take a tour around the campfire. Newt points out the different groups of Gladers, and they're doing fine until Gally 'accidentally' shoves a stumbling opponent into Thomas' back, causing him to lose his balance. Thomas dusts himself off, but looks up when Gally approaches him. "What do you say, Greenie? Want to see what you're made of?"

Thomas stares at him, uncomprehending, but Y/N makes a quiet sound of annoyance. "Come on, Gally. It's the guy's first day here. Give him a break." Gally ignores her, speaking even louder to Thomas to explain the rules of the fight. Newt drifts over, gently pulling Y/N away from the ring. "Let Thomas have a go. Gally probably won't rough him up that much."

They step aside, hanging on the outskirts of the group. Y/N winces as Gally shoves Thomas face-first into the dirt. "It's barbaric. Does he really have to do this?" Newt stares at the ongoing fight, at Gally clearly reveling in the chance to rough up another Glader, then looks back at Y/N. "Are you happy with him?"