Chapter One

Dixie's Pov:

August 11th, 2020

I was in my bedroom, laying in bed, contemplating my entire existence when one of our live in house keepers knocked at my door, telling me my mother and father wanted to see me in his office.

I hadn't been in there in a while. When I was little I would go in there and look at all of his little collectibles he'd gotten from traveling so often or play with all of the pens and pencils he had. Once I got into my older years I started hiding in my room and letting my younger sister, Charli, have all the attention.

Rolling my eyes and getting off my bed I followed her to the stairway where she then went down another hallway probably to go pamper Charli. Quickly running down the stairs, I went to my fathers office door and knocked.

"Who is it?" He asked in a loud voice.

"It's Dixie." I said back.

"Come in!" He said excitedly.

I opened the door to find my mother and father sitting across from each other at his desk and there being an extra empty seat next to my mom. My mom and I had been pretty close since I was her first born and she had put a lot of her hard work and effort into me. My dad had done that with Charli and pushed me to the side most of the time.

She pat the seat next to her and sent me a warm smile, but something felt of with the tensions in the room. It looked as if my mother had been crying but I couldn't exactly tell.

I sat down next to her and looked between her and my father.

"What's up?" I asked after a moment of them just staring at me.

"We have something very important to tell you!" My father said waits a big grin.

When ever he was actually excited to talk to me I knew something that I didn't like was about to happen. It would probably be another college course to take or new activity the want me to start. Whatever it was I already knew I wasn't gonna like it.

"And what is that?" I asked with a sigh.

"We know that it's your 19th birthday coming up and we feel that you have matured enough to know what has been in the works for well 19 years." My father said, calming down slightly.

I looked at my father with a confused expression and then at my mother who had her hand over her mouth, trying to coverup the fact that she was sobbing.

"Mom what's wrong? What's happening?" I asked growing more confused and frustrated.

"Dixie hunny, you're getting married." She told me, composing herself enough to get a sentence out.

"WHAT!?" I shouted, standing up.

"Dixie sit down and let is explain." My father said in a stern voice.

"NO! I will not sit down so you guys can sign away my life to some creepy old dude!" I shouted back at him.

"DIXIE JANE D'AMELIO! I SAID SIT THE FUCK DOWN! I am in charge in this place and you are all under me! I will not be disrespected by a pathetic woman in my own home!" My father screamed at me.

I stood there bewildered. I knew he was sexist and liked things old school but I never knew he would take it that far. I was shaking and couldn't even think straight, that's how mad I was.

"You know what. I'm glad you're giving me away. I won't have to listen to your sexist comments and watch you be a better father to Charli anymore!" I screamed, storming out of his office, making sure to slam the door behind me.

I ran up to my room in tears, passing by Charli on the way. I ran right past her even when she reached out to pull my shoulder back. As soon as I closed the door I locked it and slid down the front of it, letting all my emotions go. Crying into my hands and shoulders heaving, I couldn't contain my pain anymore.

"I heard a soft knock on the goor ad knew that it was Charli.

"Dixie please open the door. I wanna talk to you." She said in her soft voice.

"Charli please go away. I just want to be alone right now." I said in a broken voice.

"Okay. I'll be in my room if you need anything." She told me as I heard her foot steps recede.

After another 20 minutes of me crying, I heard more footsteps coming towards my room at the end of the hallway. Once they stopped I immediately heard loud banging on my door.

"Dixie! Open this door right now!" I heard my father scream.

I couldn't do anything but freeze. I felt tears start streaming down my face. Then I heard my mothers voice.

"Marc! Leave her alone! You are giving her away she has a right to be upset and angry with us!" She yelled at him.

In that moment I heard Charli's door open and then her screaming at my father.

"You're doing what to Dixie?! You cannot give her away she's an adult it's not like you can put her up for adoption!" She shouted and in that moment is when I felt the most love for her.

"Charli hunny, that's not what we mean. You'll find out tomorrow. For now just go in your room and listen to your music." My dad said after stopping his aggressive knocking to console my little sister.

After hearing her door close and faint voices calming her down, I passed out from all of the commotion and stress.

-Two hours later-

I woke up on the floor next to my door. Then everything rushed back to me and I felt like crying again. I decided to get up and crawl in my bed when I saw a note that had been pushed underneath my door.

Opening it, I saw it was from my mom.

"Dear Dixie,

The man you will be marrying is only 3 months older than you so you don't need to worry about the age gap.

He is the leader of the German mafia and you will be meeting him tomorrow at your birthday ball.

When you come with me to breakfast tomorrow morning, I will give you more details, and then we will pick out a gorgeous dress for you to show off in.

I know this isn't an ideal way to find your husband but it's what needs to happen and I actually don't think you will mind him as he is in fact your type.

Me and my father have met with his parents a few times and they have shown us pictures but we haven't been directly in contact with him as he doesn't know either.

Your father and I love you and want the best for you. Just know that we would never put you in a risky situation that would threaten your life. The German mafia has some of the best protection so we know you will be safe.

The rest of the details will have to be worked out between you and your new husband.

Love

Mom."

I couldn't do anything but cry even more. How could my mother just let my father send me away like I was some piece of mail? I was her daughter and it seemed like she didn't even care about me. Neither of my parents seemed like they cared about me.

I couldn't comprehend why they would do this to me. I got good grades throughout my entire life. Always cleaned up after myself. I don't know what I did to them that would make them want to get rid of me like that.

Charli was their favorite child and they only had time for her now. I guess the best way to get rid of me without physically hurting was to give me away to a man I didn't even know the name of.