Chapter Twenty-Seven

Dixie's Pov:

"You're joking right?" I asked in complete disbelief.

"I know it sounds fake but I promise you. Look Noah wants to talk to you before they put him under anesthesia. I'll give you more details after they take him to surgery." He rushed out before handing the phone to Noah.

"Baby." Noah groaned out in pain.

"Noah. Baby please tell me you're okay." I cried while picking up the phone and holding it closer to me as if Noah was actually there.

"Dixie I promise I'm going to be okay. I need you to stay calm okay? I will see you when I get home." He said as Curtis took the phone again.

"Dixie I'm going to call you back when Noah get's out of surgery. Blake and I still have some business to deal with." Curtis said before hanging up.

I let the phone drop from my hands as tears consistently fell from my eyes. Riley came and hugged my sobbing body. I could feel my eyes swelling shut from all of the emotions.

I was at a loss. Everything I had was slipping through my fingers and there was nothing I could do to stop it. Noah's life was slowly drifting away, and I was a whole country away from him.

He was dying and his wife wasn't even by his side.

Riley tried her best to calm me down but I physically could not stop crying. I couldn't stop my body from shaking or the sobs from coming from my mouth. The tears were an endless river and I could barely breath.

Three hours later, I had finally fallen asleep, purely from exhaustion. If it was up to me, I would've stayed awake until Curtis called again but I had missed it so Riley answered and got all the details for me.

I woke up to light shakes several hours after I had fallen asleep. Riley had a bowl of soup in her hand and a few pain tablets in the other. I sat up slightly as my head started throbbing.

"Here. Take these and eat some of this soup so you'll feel a bit better. After you finish I'll give you the update on Noah." She said softly.

I nodded, Taking a big gulp of water and swallowing the medication. She sat down next to me with her own bowl of soup and we ate in silence before there was a frantic knock on the door.

As Riley was about to stand up I pushed her down and stood up for myself. I walked towards the door as the knocking continued. I opened it and saw Noah's parents and siblings along with my mom and Charli.

"Oh dear. How are you doing my sweet girl." Amy said with a sad smile as she brought me in for a tight hug.

I tried as hard as I possibly could to keep the tears from flowing again but nothing could stop it. As I cried into her shoulder, she walked me backwards, into the house. She sat with me on the couch and held me until I could stop crying this time a lot faster being in the comforting touch of a mother. My mom had also come and sat on the other side of me, rubbing my back softly.

"Honey I'm sure everything is going to be just fine." She said after pulling away from the hug.

"But what if it's not. And I wouldn't even be there for him if he did..." I couldn't finish the rest of my sentence. I didn't want to think about him not being here ever again.

"Don't think about that unless it actually happens which it won't so think about the good things." My mom said sternly.

Nodding my head, I leaned back onto the couch, trying to contain my emotions. Everyone made their way to the kitchen for some food, leaving me by myself. After ten minutes, I got up to join everyone else since it was better to be with others while in such an emotional time.