Chapter Fourteen Unedited

I carry her out to my car and gently set her inside, buckling her in. I drive home and easily pick her up, noticing that my guards I wanted were here. I carry her inside and up the stairs quietly, setting her on my bed. I place a blanket over her and kiss her forehead before heading down stairs, quickly hearing Emmie screaming for no reason.

I run to the kitchen and see Elijah watching in horror as Emmie runs around the kitchen screaming with sugar-crazed eyes. I pick her up as she races past me and carry her still screaming body into the living room. I set her down on the couch.

"Emmie! Your sister is sleeping! Be quiet and watch some tv!" I order, she quiets down and nods. I sigh and clap Elijah's shoulder.

"Go ahead and take a bedroom. There should be one ready on the fourth floor. Rest because it's going to be a long night." I say, he nods and heads off to find a room. I head into the kitchen and throw in a frozen dinner for the night and take my phone out to set an alarm to check on it. I hesitate about calling Kieran but decide not to because he's with his friends. But, on the other hand, he would want to know. I change my mind and click his name.

"Hey Jay! What's up?" He asks cheerfully. I hear laughter and talking in the background.

"Dawn demanded to see some prisoners of mine that turned out to be some guys of her ex-boyfriend. She got them to talk, but then they brought up some memories. She broke down into my arms and is now sleeping up in my room. I thought you should know, but everything is handled. Emmie is watching TV, Dawn is sleeping, and we have guards on the way." I say, Kieran huffs.

"I swear to god, if she is hurt in any way, shape, or form, I'm going to beat your ass." He seethes angrily. I shudder.

"Kieran! Who are you talking to?" A guy calls.

"My sisters boyfriend! He's annoying the shit out of me!" He calls back, I roll my eyes.

"Ha ha." I say in a deadpan voice. I hear him chuckle on the line.

"I'll be home in an hour. Don't eat without me." He says and hangs up on me. I sigh and plop down beside Emmie, seeing her eyelids slowly drooping from the sugar crash. Thirty minutes later, she's sleeping soundly against me. I slowly pick her up and carry her to her room. I tuck her into bed and kiss her forehead lightly.

"Night, Pumpkin." I whisper as I watch her sleeping peacefully. I glance out the window and see all the guys hidden around the yard, watching everything with sharp eyes. I shut the curtain and creep out of the room, before heading up to my room. 

I go inside and gently lay down beside her, watching her sleeping fitfully with frightened whimpers. I pull her into me and cradle her gently. She soon calms down and sleeps soundly on my chest with relaxed features. Her freckles seem to be more prominent against her pale skin and I notice dark bags under her eyes.

She's not sleeping enough. I brush my fingers over her face, tracing the dip that goes to her lips, her eyes, her jaw, her cheekbone. I gently brush my lips across her forehead before resting my head atop hers.

I love her, yet I can't tell her. She has just decided to give me a chance, but it's on the tip of my tongue. I wish I could tell her, but she could get frightened from how strong my feelings are. Or worse, she could push me away, leave. I sigh as my phone goes off, telling me dinner is done. I gently pull away from my love and hurry down the stairs, running into the kitchen to take the dinner out.

I pull out the lasagna and grab five plates. The door opens, and I hear laughter as Kieran tells some story. They enter the kitchen, and I realize Kieran brought one of his friend's home. "Hey, Jay! Can Will stay the night?" He asks, happiness in his eyes. I smile.