Chapter Thirty-Four Unedited

Kieran's POV

I felt bad. Horrible. Like a piece of shit.

I haven't slept all night, despite my headache and hungover feeling. I deserved the pain. In fact, I had music blaring in my ears through headphones and all the lights, that I could manage to find, on and the windows open. I wanted to hurt myself. Not self harm, of course, but punish myself for what I did.

I remember telling my friends that they could only bring one or two each. And that went catastrophically wrong. They brought a few beers, and that slowly turned into so much alcohol. Then, some guys popped in and sold a bunch of drugs. All I remember is having one drink, thinking that it tasted different, but drinking it anyways. After that, it's just a blur.

I vaguely remember Dawn coming back and screaming at me, but even then, I only know that she did. Not what she said. I don't know what punishment she gave me, and I'm scared to know. My phone buzzes, letting me know it's officially seven in the morning. I get up, wincing as I sluggishly head down stairs and enter the silent kitchen.

I'm going to treat her to a breakfast in bed, with some for Jayden of course. I do remember him saying he'll try to calm her down last night, which I'm very grateful for. I make Dawn's favorite tea, and Jayden a cup of strong coffee. Then, I make eggs and bacon and waffles. I set up the trays, slowly creeping up the stairs with the trays balanced on my arms. I gently pushed open their door, seeing them cuddled on his bed.

Ugh, I wish I didn't have to see this. "Dawn? Jayden? I made you breakfast." I call quietly, seeing Jayden stir with a groan and pulling Dawn closer. "I've got coffee and tea." I mention, seeing the both of them sit up quickly. I chuckle, laying the tray on their laps. Dawn smiles up at me, catching me off-guard.

"Thank you, Kieran. I'm sorry for overreacting last night, but you shouldn't have done what you did. I'm letting you keep your phone, but it's straight to school and straight back home. Only time you can stay after school is for any detention, or football practice, or anything of that sort. But only school and home. No friends. No parties. You will be scrubbing this entire house from top to bottom. Jayden will make you clean outside this house as well. Mow the lawn, clean the pools, the windows, the equipment. Everything will be spotless when I come home." She orders, her fiery brown eyes narrowing at me.

"Do you understand me?" She asks, sounding just like mom. I nod.

"Yes, ma'am. I'll do all of that and more. Jayden can put me to work." I agree, she studies me before nodding.

"Good. Now go take a shower. You smell like cheap beer and weed." She orders, I nod and walk back up to my room. That wasn't so bad, but I know I will regret this even more as the days pass.