Chapter Twenty-Eight Unedited

"What do you mean she has to go to fucking court?" I roar into the phone, pacing outside the counselor's office building. I hear a patient sigh on the other end of the line.

"Sir, she killed a man. We just need to see if she is guilty or not and what punishment she gets. You have the right to a lawyer, but she will have to be arrested and put into jail until the court date." He replies, I can hear him drumming his fingers on something hollow.

"She doesn't deserve to be in jail! She won't fucking survive! When's the court date?" My pissed tone turns worried, my fingers messing up my hair and pulling it at it's roots.

"Next month. Some guy named Caleb payed for the date to be pushed up. That was the earliest we could get it. We'll come pick her up in two days, make sure she is ready." He orders, hanging up on me. I toss my phone into my open car window, itching to punch something. I hear my phone ding with a message.

It's done. He wants to talk to you. Dawn sent, I rush into the building and up to his office. They walk out of the room, Dawn smiling softly as she chats with him in total ease. I will give him this, even though I hate that he's a guy, he has a calming aura around him that sets Dawn at ease. He will be good for her, and I am glad he's way too old for her and that she loves me.

He turns to me with a smile, his greying brown hair cut short, but his sparkling brown eyes are filled with warmth and contentment but also a hint of worry and sadness. "Mr. Pierce. Dawn is wonderful, and she has a good mindset for moving on, but I was hoping I could talk to you about something that I think will help her continue getting better and control her panic attacks." He states seriously, I nod.

"Of course. Dawn, do you mind if I talk to him alone?" I ask worriedly, she shakes her head with a smile.

"It's all right." Her angelic voice rings out melodically. I grin at her, walking out of earshot of Dawn and turning my back on her in case I get angry.

"What's up?" I ask, he sighs.

"I think it would do her good to have an ESA. She needs some type of animal that sets her at ease that has been trained in her problems. She has PTSD, depression, anxiety, social anxiety, and night terrors. I would like her to learn to be more independent, because if you two were to ever break up I don't think she'd be able to... well... want to stay alive. I have a few recommended places and here's a letter certifying that I recommend she gets one. There will be plenty of hurdles, but I believe she can easily get one." He says in one breath, I relax in relief.

"I will get her an ESA, I know she'd want this, but I will talk with her. Thank you so much, Doc." I grin, he chuckles.

"Of course, it's a pleasure to be with her. I can't believe what she's gone through, but she's strong and I'll be with her every step of the way to recovery. Please take care of her, I don't think she could survive another heartbreak." He whispers the last sentence, his eyes conveying he already cared for her. I give him a reassuring smile.

"I swear on my life that I will take care of her. You don't need to worry." I promise truthfully, he sighs with a nod.

"She may go, but I want her to seriously think about an emotional support animal." He says sternly, I nod.

"Yes, sir. We'll see you next week." I reply, walking over to a tired Dawn. I chuckle as she yawns cutely, taking her by her hips and planting a kiss on her head. She leans into me, her eyes closing as I lead her out of the office building and into the car. She falls asleep before I'm in the car, causing me to smile as I drive home.

Last week, she went in to give her statement and she was in the interrogation room from noon to seven that night. She had burst out of that room and jumped into my arms with sobs. I almost ordered a kill for the guy right then and there, but that wouldn't look well. A sharp ringing fills the car, I fumble with my phone answering it as quickly as possible.