Chapter Six

I walked into the doors right after Andrew.  We were each carted off to different hallways.  Then, we stood waiting in a mixed line of factions for our test.  I was sandwiched between an Amity girl and a Dauntless boy.

        None of us were talking.  Just waiting for the test.  Sometimes you saw a kid being taken out by an adult after the test.  Other times you heard crying.  Some people didn't like their answers.  

        My lined seemed to move fast and slow at the same time.  Yet it was moving just slower than the lines around us.  The Amity girl in front of me went in, and I saw the test proctor.  He was a big man in a light gray outfit.  He didn't look menacing, but I didn't want to mess with him.  Strangely though, my initial thought upon seeing him was fear.  He slammed the door closed and he and the girl were in there alone.  I wrapped my arms around me.  

        "Something about him makes me want to punch him."  says the Dauntless boy behind me.  Guess whose staying in his birth faction.  That guy.

        It seems like I wait for hours until the big man opens the door and the Amity girl is walking out.  Then, he points a large sausage finger at me, and motions for me to come closer.  I don't move at first, then my legs push me forward.  When I got all the way to the man, he placed a hand on my back and led me in, shutting the door behind us.

        The room was covered head to toe in mirrors.  I didn't take too long to stare into them.  Instead, I got up onto the chair and sat down.

        "My name is Arthur, and I'll be administering your test."  Says the man.  He then grabs a small glass with blue liquid inside of it.

        "What's that?" I ask.

        "It's for you.  Drink up."  Arthur says, forcing the glass into my hand.  The smell isn't that great, but I throw it down my throat.  In an instant it begins to work.  And I realize that it's the liquid that begins our test.  I was so stupid for not knowing that.

        I should know that stuff, right?

        Before I could even turn my head to look at Arthur, I found myself in a different room altogether.  In that room sat two tables, one with paper on it, and one with a young girl.  When I looked at the paper, it had the directions and easy to follow steps on a math equation.  When I looked to the girl, I could see she was struggling on trying to get the answer.  I picked up the paper and slid it next to her.

        "Thank you."  She said.  

        I turned to go see if anyone else needed help, but now, I was in the street outside the Hub.  The building rose above me.  Next to the doorway, sat a factionless man.  He was just laying there, almost seemed dead.  I could feel a bag hanging off my shoulder.  When I opened it, I saw a can of food.

        Instantly I was next to the man, using a sharp piece of metal to open the can for him.  It was beans.  The factionless man took it happily, and when I stood up with a smile, I again went to a new place.

        This time, I was now back in the room where Arthur and I were together, but it was only me.  I was the only one there.  In front of me sat five pedestals, each with a different tool.  A blanket for someone who was cold, a textbook to study from, a knife to ward off an enemy, and trough for feeding animals, and a needle full of truth serum.  Thanks to my textbooks, I know that the current color of the Candor serum is a light pink.

        I stared at all the tools, and my hand lifted up on it's own.

        "Choose."  I heard a voice say.

        My hand went for the blanket.  It was right next to the textbook.  My fingers wrapped around the fabric, then my whole vision went black.  

        I next woke up and Arthur was back.  I was in the chair.  There was no blanket in my hands.  When I turned to face him, Arthur was smiling.

        "Welcome to Abnegation.  Though remember, you can chose a different faction at the Choosing Ceremony.  You don't have to listen to the test."

        "I got Abnegation?"  I said in a whisper.

        "Yes you did.  Full on Abnegation."

        "Thank you."  I said, before leaving the room.  Arthur lead me over to the door and opened it.  He pointed down the hallway to the room where I was to wait until it was time for everyone to go.